NIS and XP firewall - any conflicts?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ozsat, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

Does anybody know of any security issues in have the Windows XP 'Firewall' set to active - and running Norton Internet Security simultaneously?

thank you in advance

2. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hi

The general advice for this is only to use one firewall.

Using another firewall program

Because the main functions of firewall programs are the same or similar to each other, having more than one firewall program installed on your computer can cause conflicts that prevent one or both programs from functioning correctly.

Sygate also advise on the use of only one software firewall due to conflicts and the fact this may even weaken your security.

HTH

3. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Registered Member

I run NIS2004 and WinXP ICF together with no apparent problems. In fact I have more problems when I switch XP ICF off.

My problems are caused by Spyblocker which keeps port 80 open. Even with NIS2004 running, port scans reveal that port 80 is open. You could call this a security issue. But if I also run XP's ICF then it reports as being stealthed.

I know everyone says should only run one firewall at a time, but 2 firewalls could be considered a layered approach. And as I said, I've not noticed any problems at all. It even stops all of the annoying port scans/popup alerts that Norton keeps popping up. I don't get any at all with both running.

I only run both due to the open port 80, if you don't run Spyblocker you would probably be better just running Norton.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.