NIS 2009 "Norton Toolbar" in IE browser

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Birdman, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

With the latest NIS 16.5.0.135 update, I can no longer remove the Norton Toolbar from displaying in IE browser w/o getting a message that 2 additional Symantec "add-ons" will also be disabled as a result (see image).

Is it SAFE to disable the Norton Toolbar + those extra add-ons or is the Symantec Intrusion Prevention and the Syamantec NCO BHO need to be enabled for safety?

To disable the Norton Toolbar or NOT....that's the question.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can't you just right click on the toolbar and "uncheck" it so it doesn't display? If you do that the protection functionality will still be enabled.

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

That box pops up regardless.

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Strange... I right click on the toolbar and you either check or uncheck to display the Norton Toolbar, simple as that, no dialog box. WinXP SP3 & IE7. I can't figure out how to get that dialog. With Norton Toolbar on, it has a drop down options menu itself where I can elect to "Enable Norton Safe Web", "Show Search Box", etc.

5. denniz

denniz Registered Member

IE7 doesn't have that dialog, but IE8 has.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

has IE8 been released as final yet, this is a bit off topic but im curious, or is it still in beta/RC?

7. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Well have you completed trying to disable the Norton Toolbar? Does it really disable those components?

It's nice to have those protection moudles there, however they are not 100% nessacery.

8. crofttk

Yes, but see thread here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236548
    Not ready for me to try it yet based on what I read there.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if you dont want the pop up check dont show me this again and then hide the toolbar.

imo the new version is def slower than the old one and is using a bit more ram. not a lot more but maybe an extra 1-2mb overall at idle and it def slowed browsing a little bit more though very slightly

10. firzen771

11. crofttk

No doubt, but not clear to me when. Hopefully not immediately.

12. firzen771

ok thx.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe you're getting that message because you are disabling the toolbar in:

"Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add-ons/toolbars & extentions"

Close Internet Options, right click on the toolbar itself and uncheck it. Then it will be hidden without being disabled.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I heard it would happen sometime in April, but don't know for sure. I was a little gun shy, but finally installed it here on Vista x64, so far looks great, no issues at all.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no in ie8 it says it will disable the add ons themselves not just hide the toolbar.

just disable them and go back into nortons then turn back on antiphising then it will be active minus the tool bar.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

OK, I tried it in IE8 and you're correct about the pop-up. It does not happen in IE7 though. Just goes to show that it's important for people to say what versions of software they're using.

17. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Listening to Paul Thurrott, it is not currently available via Windows Update, however is available for public download at www.microsoft.com/ie8.

As far as "Intrusion Prevention" does, it blocks attackers from exploiting vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer and some third-party applications.

Today, Norton blocked the download of a PDF file, citing it was a suspicious PDF file. I was blocked access to the site which attempted to save the file. When I disabled Intrusion Prevention and downloaded the file, the antivirus component erased the file; it matched the signature for Bloodhound.Exploit.196.

When submitted to various sites for analysis, a population of AVs detected the file as malicious. The IP BHO simply steps in before the antivirus component.

IE8 support is not official yet. Users have experienced incompatibilities. http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&message.id=4686&query.id=318780#M4686

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.