NIS 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Is due out 9/11. Here is a download that will get you there untill the release. It is good for 30 days. Trying it now and it isnt bad.

NIS 2008

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good to hear.
    maybe it is time to change your avatar?;)

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

This has to be the older build as the date of the article is 7 July. The latest build came out on August 1.

4. midway40

I hope they do go final with '08 by that time. As of right now I cannot return to '07. In '07 everything is fine until the reboot after the LiveUpdate process at which time I lose internet connection. I have used the Removal Tool several times and also manually deleted entries in the registry. I remove '07 and then I get internet back. I have installed Avast!, Trend, and even OneCare and still have an internet connection. NIS '07 just will not let me connect. This didn't happen until the latest beta build.

So I am stuck with the '08 Beta until the final comes out. If it takes longer than 18 days (which is left on this trial) I can stick the Trend back in (I still have 6 months left on it) to get me through till the final is out. But I am hoping on an new build between now and then.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , a year ago I have tried Norton IS 2005 and 2006 versions . With IS I had exactly the same problem as you describe . No netowork connection after update . After some investigation I came to a conclusion it was Norton's firewall that causes the problem . I didn't have such problems with their antivirus .

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Pretty much my same experience with Esets suite.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I had the same problem with NIS 2007 and uninstalled it. Alternate between using paid versions of Avira and NOD32 AV. I use Windows XP firewall-keeps the bad guys out-once they are in, no software is likely going to keep them from phoning home. Big myth about the efficacy of outbound protection-its a scam to sell software.

Norton still has problems. Was curious about NIS 2008 beta, but I want to avoid the aggrevation. Looks like problem is still unresolved.

8. midway40

There is something about the latest beta build which caused the problem. I had no problem going from the first beta build back to '07.

This is what you expect dealing with betas anyway.

9. midway40

Oh well, my trial came to a premature end. I came home this evening to find a dialog box telling me that the trial subscription has ended though yesterday it said I had 17 days left. So I had no choice but to uninstall the beta and install my copy of TMIS '07 which still has five months left on it's subscription. I would have liked to stick FSIS '07 back on it but I only have a couple of weeks left on it's subscription. So I am back with the Trend until NIS '08 goes final.

Interesting thing is that it found an adware, AdwareBrilliantDigitalEntertainment, on the computer. NIS 07-08 didn't pick it up but SAS and various online scanners didn't pick it up either.

10. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I'm curious if you have ANY idea how you contracted this adware. Did you install some questionable softwre ?

11. midway40

I am not sure where or when this was picked up. It could have been on here as far back as March when I installed NIS. I could have picked it up when I was "testing" Vista's and NIS's defenses some time back by venturing into the "darkside". It might have only been a partial download as all it picked up was a couple of registry entries, no rogue folders or executables.

Also notice that Vista is not on the list of affected OS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.