NIS 2008 Network Map Issue

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 4Tune, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Tune

4Tune Registered Member

Hi,

Symantec Tech Supp is of no help on this issue. Maybe someone here can help me.

I was using NIS 2007 in 3 PCs on my home net. My desktop is cable connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. Two laptops are wireless connected to the router.

Last September I tried NIS 2008 on my desktop for two days. Network map was operational. Then I removed NIS 2008 and reinstalled NIS 2007.

Nov 1st I upgraded to NIS 2008. First installed it on a laptop. Network Map was operational . Then I installed it on my desktop (2nd time). Network Map was not running. Instead I got a "Cannot probe your network...." message.

Then I decided to remove it from the laptop and from the desktop and reinstall it first on the desktop then on the laptop. Guess the result: Network map is not running in both, instead the "Cannot probe your network..." error message is displayed. I contacted Symantec Tech Support, just to confirm that customers cannot rely on it. The usual remove it, clean Symantec entries in the register, clean Symantec folders in C: directory, clean Temp locations, reinstall NIS 2008, etc...After many contacts and escalations, I quit. The last customer rep said the problem was the router!

Yesterday I installed NIS 2008 for the first time on the second laptop. Network Map is running on it, but it is impossible to remote monitor my desktop and the other laptop, although they are shown in the Network Map.

The issue seems to be: First time you install NIS 2008, Network Map runs smoothly. If you remove NIS 2008 and then reinstall it, Network Map doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for any help.

4Tune

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I suggest you uninstall again using Add/Remove and then run SymNRT. After using the removal tool then reinstall and see if that fixes it.

It looks like something didn't get removed from the first install that is causing problems with the subsequent installs. It is similar to a problem I had with Indentity Safe.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  3. 4Tune

4Tune Registered Member

midway40,

Thanks for your reply.

I've already used SymRT release 2008.0.1.14, which I've downloaded in September, to remove NIS 2008 from my desktop and laptop. The issue persisted, after reinstalling NIS 2008.

I just downloaded SymRT release 2008.0.1.19. I'll try it later and post the results here.

4Tune

4. midway40

I hope it works out for you. This is the only thing I know of to do as I don't use Network Map myself because I only have a single computer.

5. 4Tune

4Tune Registered Member

midway40,

Almost unbelievable. After removing NIS 2008 using new SymRT (rel 2008.0.1.19) and reinstalling the package again, Network Map is displayed.

To other users: Allways use the last release of SymRT.

Thanks for your help.

4Tune

6. midway40

:thumb: Glad it worked out for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.