NIS 2005 Uninstall Help...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by GuardianofNight, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianofNight

GuardianofNight Registered Member

Hello everyone, a friend of mine a week ago purchased Norton Internet Security 2005 from the Symantec online store. She was not happy with the way it slowed down her computer and now she is requesting a refund from Symantec. However... when she had it installed, she told me that she could not recieve files from friends on the instant messengers she uses which is Yahoo!, AOL, and MSN messengers. She told me she couldn't also click on any links whatsoever that people give her in the IM window. Instead, she has to manually copy and paste them into her browser which is Internet Explorer. Also said that her recycle bin has stayed to the name "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" and I got this link from another friend of mine which is: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

and was just wondering if possibly running this tool would be OK. It says you shouldn't if uninstalling the Norton product worked OK by going to Add/Remove programs but the thing is... her and I both believe it has left stuff behind on her computer which is causing problems. Would reformatting the drive be the only solution or would this tool work or.. what can you suggest?

I'd appreciate it if anyone has some helpful help, as always... you all are great when I need help.

Thanks,

GuardianofNight

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The tool is just a cleanup. Its not required if the uninstall worked fine, but I dont see any harm in running it :)

3. GuardianofNight

Alrighty then, thanks also for the quick reply Firecat! I will suggest it to my friend then.

4. RaLX

RaLX Registered Member

Yes, that would work

5. GuardianofNight

Ok great.. thanks RaLX. I really hope it does... if not, I guess doing a reformat on the drive would be the last hope at this point.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Norton and a clean, complete uninstall do not go together! Symantec know they have problem with the uninstall, that's why they have specific removal tools to help with this procedure.

In particular if you are switching from Norton to another AV, you will need to remove as much of NIS/NAV as you can. A reformat though should be a last resort.

Try the normal Add/Remove, then the SymNRT and then a good registry cleaner such as RegSupreme.

7. GuardianofNight

Hi Blackcat, thank you for your reply! I will tell my friend today if I see her to use the SymNRT as you mentioned then a registry cleaner. We've always trusted a registry tool which I just trust to no end called Registry Mechanic... its such a great program, and it's pretty amazing too because I remember one time it fixed a sound problem in a offline game of mine that even purchasing the software again and reinstalling and even emailing support did not help, lol but anyway.... thanks again Blackcat and everyone who has helped. :)

8. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

WARNING: Using SymNRT.exe may break your Windows Update and make it very difficult to restore - reinstalling SP2 from CD worked for me but it doesn't work for everyone.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As rjbsec just stated, symNRT may stop you updating Windows.

The reinstall of SP2 was, as with you, the only suggestion which worked for me.

At the present time, uninstalling Norton through Add/Remove and then using a good non-Norton Registry cleaner (RegSupreme) may be the best option.

No sign yet of Norton providing a fix for symNRT.

10. controler

controler Guest

GuardianofNight

If Norton had not slowed down your friends computer too much , that same friend could have turned off IM protection in the GUI.
    It is there for most people's own good.

It is always best to install ANY major suite on a freshly formated system with SP2 & all updates installed first. If you have Processguard, it is best to install that first.
    I tested it on a PIII 850- 512 meg RAM without any problems.

controler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.