Nightingale - the best music player for Linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

There are many music players available for Linux. But Songbird used to be best, IMHO, with its iTunes look and feel and its extendibility with many add-ons. I think its handling is more straightforward compared to, say, Amarok or Clementine. Unfortunately, two years ago or so the developers decided that they would publish no more official Linux version. Unofficial versions still exist, and respective binaries for Ubuntu are available from getdeb.net. They work well, but since here is no true 64bit version a ton of 32bit dependencies is installed.

But fortunately there is Nightingale, a Songbird fork. Its development seemed to be stalled for quite a while but now it seems that it's gaining speed. There are release channel and nightlies ppa's which contain 64bit versions. I suggest the latter one as the first one funnily enough offers beta versions.

One caveat, though: After I installed it on Kubuntu and started it for setup it wouldn't restart. When executing it in the console, it produced several error messages, one of them related to Unity (which I obviously don't have on Kubuntu). After downloading a tarball from http://getnightingale.com/ and creating a profile in ~/.nightingale, I installed the .deb file again, and now it works flawlessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.