Nforce-4 Ethernet Port driver

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gbohn, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

Hi;

I just got an Asus A8N-E (Nforce 4 chipset) Motherboard. I tried my Acronis True Image 8 (826) Boot CD and although it booted o.k., it wasn't able to operate the built-in Gigabit Ethernet port.

I believe this LAN port uses the NFORCE-4 chip MAC in conjunction with a 'Marvell 88E1111 Gigabit PHY'.

My understanding is once the ethernet of the NForce 4 chip is supported, the type of PHY doesn't matter.

Do you know if/when the native Nforce-4 LAN will be supported?

Thanks;

-Greg Bohn

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

They have stated that the next release will support Nforce4.

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

nForce4 Ethernet, or only nForce4 SATA-RAID?? I haven't heard a pip about Ethernet support :?

4. beenthereb4

Well, they said they are working directly with Nvidia to add support for the Nforce4 chipset (my understanding). I could look into it further, but the new release is very close, so we'll soon see.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As concerns Acronis True Image and NForce4 chipset, we have contacted NVidia to solve the problem with SATA RAID on their chipset. The result is that the support for NVRAID is expected in the next build. The Marvell network has already been implemented and should work with the latest (826) build.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. beenthereb4

Well, build 826 most definitely does not work with the Nforce4 ethernet controller as implemented in the Asus A8N-E. You may be thinking of some other Nforce4 boards which include a second (Marvell) controller.

7. Acronis Support

Hello beenthereb4,

Could you please describe what problems you encountered with the latest build of Acronis True Image in reference to network cards? We will investigate it and will certainly provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. beenthereb4

If you boot a computer (based on Asus A8N-E) from build 826, there are no obvious errors, however Network Neighborhood does not appear when you browse for the restore source (or browse for a destination). Only local drives are available.

9. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

I retried this, and I have the same problem. The 8.0 (826 full) CD boots, but I don't get an active ethernet link to my Gigabit switch. So, I can't see anything on the lan.

The A8N-E only has the native Nforce 4 MAC (+ Marvel PHY).

As mentioned, some other boards may have a second Ethernet port that's not connected to the Nforce-4.

For example, I think the Asus A8N-SLI contains both the native Nforce-4 (+ PHY) port as well as another (stand alone) port that doesn't use the Nforce-4 chipset.

Maybe they have only added support for the stand-alone marvel PCI or PCIE attached lan port (that my board doesn't have).

-Greg Bohn

10. Acronis Support

Hello beenthereb4 and Greg,

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem.

This seems to be a tricky thing and we need to investigate it thoroughly.

Could you please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

Send the output after each of the commands to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread indicating in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette in the letter mentioned above as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

>Send the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette in the letter
    >mentioned above as well.

email sent.

-Greg Bohn

12. beenthereb4

This issue has been solved in build 859 - another win for Acronis! Nice work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.