Newcomer Challenges the Antivirus Establishment (PCWorld)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrhero, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well, this thread sure will hit page 10. A new BB with bold statements.
    Any testers yet?

4. btman

btman Registered Member

99%.... Hah... Hah... Someone prove it wrong. Please do. lol.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

They don't explain to me how it works, just a bunch of words and expressions that doesn't mean anything to me.
    Maybe other members do understand this, certainly not me. I'm too stupid for this.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Great! a new toy to play with. :thumb:
    Will try it.

7. ErikAlbert

Indeed a new toy, I'm looking forward to the results. Try to break it any possible way you can. That's what I would do IF I was a security expert or an experienced user.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This technology of Robot Genius Spyberus is basically almost the same concept as KAV's proactive defense module, Norman Sandbox or BitDefender B-HAVE. When you want an ability measure of Spyberus, think KAV PDM or Micropoint, though with not quite the same effectiveness because this company is new in the security field.

There was one Principal AntiVirus in past which relied on same measure. The only thing really interesting about this is the so-called Take Control tool, which can help in malware disinfection.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Firecat, they claim to be ahead of AVs. Testing is in order IMO! Just not by me..:D

10. ErikAlbert

It sounds better to me that "I" Take Control, not some tool, that doesn't see the difference between good and bad.
    Scanners have also false/positives, because they aren't smart enough, that's because these scanners have an I.Q. of a brick.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I tested against Firewall Leaktester's anti-keylogger test. It failed the first three tests. I didn't test the screen capture parts. This program seems to act like PrevX in that it stores a database of applications and asks user if he/she wants to contribute to building the database. Just my $0.02.

12. ErikAlbert

Three leaks and this is supposed to be a Genius ? Sigh ... another rasp. :rolleyes:

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am going to take a shot at this thing.

14. Peter2150

Erik

I can now tell you exactly how it works. And yes it is 100% guaranteed protection. It takes advantage of a well know WIindows system feature at log on. The BSOD:D

Yep quite the genius. I suppose it's it's so good I should uninstall KIS and SSM, and see what happens.

Pete

15. Peter2150

Okay I uninstalled KIS and SSM, and RG installed okay. Thru DFK - Threat Simulator at it, and assuming I was smart enough to block the warning it came up with, it at least didn't get shut down. DFK still said I was owned. THen I threw Killdisk at it. No warning, no challenge, just sayanora hard disk.

THis thing had one other huge strike against it as far as I am concerned and I would waste, time or money on it. Namely the founder developed on other significant company and then sold it out to Symantec. No thanks for me.

16. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    ROFLMAO. Thanks for sharing the brilliant results of this newcomer, who challenges the AntiVirus Establishment. ROFLMAO.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sounds boring...
    Mrk

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Spyberus added about 15 extra seconds to the boot process, but that might be an internal furious fight between Prevx1, Comodo FW, spyberus and boclean for getting closest to the kernel :)
    It didnt play well with Comodo Firewall, it kept locking my computer. I turned off Comodo FW but then spyberus crasched. I didnt have time to see much of its features before it crasched. IT also prevented Comodo Boclean tray icon from starting.

I noticed one popup though, it was when I started Process explorer. Spyberus said it couldnt guarantee that PE was safe (and then it crasched) and that gave me an indication of what kind of software it might be, it looked like it was some sort of HIPS that wanted to ask too many questions. I was really only interested to check the sandbox feature. In the description it sounded a bit like Tiny Firewall Pro´s concept. That would´ve been nice to have though.

Maybe I try it on a clean snapshot someday.

19. korb

korb Registered Member

it kept rebooting on my system with comodo BO,ssm pro, sensive guard installed.had to uninstall

20. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Not a program I would like to ever install on my system again (not unless I'm prepared for a re-format). It was affecting my system in safe mode even, making my computer sluggish to the extreme. I had quite a bit problems getting rid of this thing. Luckily I got to run an uninstaller application/cleaner (Smarty Uninstaller) in safe mode, and even if the Windows Installer service doesn't work in safe mode, Smarty Uninstaller got rid of the registry entries for Spyberus and most of the files I guess.

21. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Sounds like more snake-oil from just another company trying to get a foothold in the burgeoning sector of Windows security, and shame on PC World for endorsing yet another potential advertising cash cow for its lame publication without testing and reviewing it first. The days of PC World focusing primarily on PCs are long gone.

22. Peter2150

No Joke. That review was a joke, and the reviewer clearly never tried to run the thing. It is so far behind the curve compared to Prevx1,Online Armor, SSM and KAV/KIS that it is pathetic.

It's hard not to believe that the review wasn't intended to help get advertising dollars. PC World reviews rendered worthless.

23. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

Someone should invite an RG rep to post here. Good pub for them, fun for us :)

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I sent them an email regarding my test results. Haven't heard back yet.

25. ErikAlbert

Poor users who read PC World regularly, they can't trust it anymore. I prefer to do my own evaluations and testings. It isn't that difficult if you think long enough. Even when this software would work properly, I wouldn't need it anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.