Newbies....

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sexdrugsnrocknroll, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sexdrugsnrocknroll

sexdrugsnrocknroll Registered Member

Hi all, newbie here.

May i be so bold as to ask a question?

I have read many informative threads here, and appreciate the knowledge of all contributors. However, my question is this:

I have a brand new computer and i am looking to build a protection system from scratch. Given that i am proficient but not as knowledgeable as others, what programs would you include to build the most impenetrable defense possible (free or pay). So many good programs, but you can only have so many b4 clashes/costs etc etc.

Here's my list of qualifiers, many taken from recommendations from this site.

Firewall: Look'n'Stop - 30 day trial.
    AV: ESET NOD32 - 30 day trial. (from KAV)

Spyware:
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    AVG Free
    Spyware Doctor
    Spybot S & D
    Spyware Terminator
    Ad-Aware
    Windows Defender

Registry
    CCleaner
    Registry Mechanic
    Reg Seeker

ID Blaster
    MRU Blaster
    Appdefend
    Regdefend

Have i overdone it?

I'm thinking, perhapso_O

However the question remains, with all the products out there how does a newbie go about building a reasonably reliable defense?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. I would greatly trim the antispyware list. Just use AVG AS and/or SUPERAntiSpyware.

2. I would only use one registry cleaner, but ill leave it to you.

3. I dont think MRU Blaster is necessary with CCleaner.

And for your last question. A newbie can start by reading these forums and learning about all the various programs. Then he or she should try some of teh programs and see how well they run on the computer.

3. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Out of those youve mentioned for spyware id go with spyware blaster and doctor and about the reg id go with mechanic.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Will not make any recommendations on software as I know you will receive plenty of good ones. But.....I will make a suggestion (or a few):D. Seeing as how we seem to be talking about a new PC, bought off of the shelf. It already come preloaded with "some sort of AV. My suggestion: Download whatever apps. you finally decide on. 1)Physically disconnect from the Internet. = pull you ethernet cable, not as critical if you are on dial-up and have ended your session. Still would not hurt. 2)Then un-install what ever AV\security software came pre-loaded (probably all trial versions anyways. McAfee or Norton) and reboot.. 3)Then run you choice of cleaner. Reboot again. 4)Then install\configure your new security apps. 5)Then go back on line and update all of them. You should be good to go. Just my .02 Enjoy the new PC.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I would also suggest some sort of recovery/image software.
    There are some quite good ones available.
    Could save you some major headaces in the future.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

1. How dangerous of a surfer are you?

2. What browser do you use?

3. I suggest MVPS Hosts file

4. Some form of hardening like 'SeconfigXP'

5. SiteAdvisor or LinkScaner

6. Router

From your list I would go with: NOD32, SpywareBlaster, SpywareDoctor, CCleaner, RegSeeker, & RegDefend

Other options depending on how you surf: Consider Prexx2, OA, SandBoxie.

Take Care
    Rico

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Check out the thread below to see if the Paragon Hard Disk manager is still available. I believe people have continued to download and install it even though the give-away was supposed to end in April.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171144&highlight=paragon

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would go with Online Armor v.2 w/ antivirus (Kaspersky) and run it along with NOD32. You would get a nice firewall and excellent HIPS program, Kaspersky av and NOD32 av. I believe there is Everything you need. There is also a component called "run safer" which, I believe, is similar to "drop my rights".

9. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

I do wish to preface that I work for Spyware Terminator.

If you can wait one or two more days, Spyware Terminator 2.0 beta will be available. It provides the same Immunize functions as SpyBot and SpywareBlaster, just an interesting side note about Spyware Terminator.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The list of antispyware programs could be trimmed down.
    You only need one running real-time.Looks like Spyware Doctor or Spyware Terminator.
    I would remove Windows Defender,AdAware,and Spybot from the list.
    There are better options.

I prefer using one registry cleaner.

How does a newbie find a reliable defense?
    Advice can be helpful,but every system is different and people have their own preferences.
    You have to try some programs to find what you prefer.

11. screamer

screamer Registered Member

As mentioned previously, disconnect from net and dump all the pre-installed security software (if you don't intend to trial it...;)

Re-start the box.

Do a registry scan & clean. Eusing free (Google it) or JV 16 paid. Delete folders that pre-installed stuff may have left behind.

Install your trial software and live w/ it for a while. See how you like it and how it likes your set-up choices. You may need to change plan mid-stream if some apps argue and don't get along.

This is part of the fun w/ security software, you change apps, try something new and move along. Always waiting for the next best thing to come down the pike.

I'd seriously consider spending a few bucks on Image and Instant Recovery software. They're not as much fun as security software but after they've saved your ass once, they'll earn your respect.

My choice ATI & FD-ISR.

Enjoy your new computer man and welcome to Wilders.

...screamer

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The fact you are asking this question indicates that you have embarked on the wrong approach to security. Let me rephrase so you might understand me better:

I am not that good a shooter but I'm ok. I was wondering which weapons do you suggest that I use to keep my house safe:

Beretta 92
    Glock 17

LAW

M60C

And so forth...

Do you see what I mean?

All of these will and can stop - something. But first of all, they require knowledge in understanding the threats and interpreting them correctly.

Once you get the hang of how things work, you will realize that you can achieve good security with little or no software, or as many as you wish, because the computer security is all about the user.

All ... about ... the ... user

User is and will always be the weakest point. And if you do not really know what you're doing, any decision you make is a potential downfall. Therefore, a newbie using a HIPS has 20 times more chance of failing than a newbie using an anti-virus, because HIPS will prompt 20 times and anti-virus only once.

Your priorities should be:

- Getting rid of any fear about computers / OS
    - Understanding how things work
    - Understanding how threats relate to you (what you got to lose?)
    - Understanding what is the best way for you to mitigate, prevent or undo threats
    - Deploy the most convenient approach suitable to your needs

I'll give you my own example.

I don't want to lose my personal stuff - books that I'm writing, articles, photos etc. Therefore, I make sure I have these backed up a lot.

I am lazy when it comes to installing, so I like imaging software.

I am a fan of open-source and free, so I'm using every possible alternative to standard bloatware in Windows.

I hate IE and I love Firefox, so the choice is simple here.

And so forth.

And then, I cook my own security recipe. Plus I understand how things work, I know what each ingredient bring. For instance, Firefox remedies 99.99% of all web threats. Firewall makes sure the Internet noise goes down a lot.

This leaves me with a few social engineering twists and a few vague exploits. And so very simply you get what you need.

I think that anyone can use nothing more than Firewall and Firefox and remain safe. It's the simply matter of default deny.

DEFAULT DENY - MAGIC WORD IN SECURITY

And the proof is this are people far older than me, 100 times less proficient, who by simply employing these few basic principles, enjoy the net without hustle and bustle of malware this or malware that.

Enjoy,
    Mrk

13. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

1. Always keep your system (and any software) fully patched - this is most important.
    2. Use a router if possible (simple, impenetrable), or any well-known firewall - even the Windows XP firewall is very good, if it fits your needs.
    3. Use a Limited User Account - this is safer than using anti-virus software in an admin account.
    4. Use an alternative browser - prevents drive-by downloads if IE is not always fully patched. IE also has had many more critical vulnerabilities than other browsers, and Microsoft has taken longer to fix these vulnerabilities in the past.
    5. Use image backup software - just in case something goes wrong (it will save you time).

Any additional software depends on your habits, expertise, etc.

14. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Whatever approach you choose, you might want to start with a good system backup program before trialling security apps. Make a backup of your existing system, before you add anything. Uninstallers don't always remove everything. When you try something and decide you don't like it, restoring from backup ensures all of that app is gone. It saves you from extra files and registry entries that only slow a system and sometimes cause conflicts.
    Rick

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

KIS6 then forget about it.

Unless you want to become a regular posting member here.

With all the resultant paranoia included.

Oh & I suggest imaging &/or cloning software. And tested restores count. Otherwise 'tis bs.

16. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Where & what could one use to elminate, fear about computers / OS & not all users will want to do this. Example many people do not want to know how an internal combustion engine works, in order to drive a car.

Understand how what works?

I would imagine the next 3 lines, would mean How dangereous a surfer are you, & as your risks increase so should your weapons?

In the past I've used PG & SSM & found both applications way too much security for my needs & have since removed them.

Dogbiscuit - Excellent advice

Take Care
    Rico

17. fce

fce Registered Member

very informative post!

to threadstarter, better read Mrkonvic post after that checkout my siggy :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Rico, a few clarifications then:

- Where & what could one use to elminate, fear about computers / OS & not all users will want to do this. Example many people do not want to know how an internal combustion engine works, in order to drive a car.

Computers and cars are not the same. You do not need to know how the engine works (cpu architecture), but if you understand how to properly use brakes, steering and gears for better control of the road ...

- Understand how what works?

Generally, how different pieces of software interact. For example, dlls, startup items, registry, browser, ports etc. I'm throwing random ideas now, but the goal is to realize that OSs are not magic, but code.

If someone is afraid of a BHO installing without knowing what one is, well ... Or someone afraid of getting hacked when they don't even understand what ports do ...

Once you understand the battle ground and elements at hand, you can prepare accordingly.

- I would imagine the next 3 lines, would mean How dangereous a surfer are you, & as your risks increase so should your weapons?

Not necessarily increase weapons. Use the right ones. Surfing is not the danger. The user is. You can surf as much as you want, the risks of it still pale compared to double-clicking on a executable and running it.

The user must evaluate his own weaknesses and prevent them from getting exploited. If you know you're a sucker for emails, then do not allow attachments or embedded html in them.

I don't really know what dangerous surfing is ...

However, not just risks. Benefits too. Computer security is not only about not getting hacked. Security also means knowing for sure that your setup is valid and works.

Mrk

19. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Trying to achieve an 'impenetrable defense' is not about piling on the security software but rather having an understanding of how things work, it can be a chipping away until you can attain security with very little software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.