Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by stilllooking, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilllooking

stilllooking Guest

I bought full version of PG2. I like advanced protections features this small-in-size security software provided (grc.com : smaller, better).
    I still have some small questions to PG2. Recently, I have seen that although I put talkback.exe of firefox0.93 (zip package) into "blocked list" of PG, it still showed itself in taskmgr.exe windows (with small footprint : 52KB). How about that?
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi stillooking, Are you sure that you have the correct .exe blocked in the checksum list?
    Try removing any instances of the .exe and then running it, Process Guard should pick up that a "new" .exe has tried to run.

HTH Pilli.

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

So you have a file talkback.exe installed to say, here -
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components

Are you saying you want to block it from executing ? you must have allowed it to execute if it is in the Task Manager.

Or do you mean you want to protect this process from modifications ? which is done by adding it to the protection list. Try to terminate it and you should see you cant - as long as Task Manager doesnt have ALLOW terminate :)

I'm not sure what this process is for, feedback ? I guess you could protect it, no real need to do so. The most important things to protect are the default list, and programs which have firewall access. Also security programs you dont want to be killed, thats about all

4. Re: newbie (cont.)

I am pretty sure I put the correct "talkback.exe" file/path into blocked list of PG2.

Yes. I could not kill it using taskmgr.exe since I put them in protected list of PG2 also. (I am paranoid kind of internet/network users not liking things foning back anyway I dont have control on)

I came to the surface if those files still on hdd and not shown up until I erased it from hdd (from the corresponding "components" folder).

I just unzip the zip package of firefox0.93, it is strange that I dotn see "talkback.exe" anyway! Why it showed up before? Is it that my pc having compromised so far?

Please instruct. Thanks so much.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi lookingforward,
    Talkback is a Firefox program used for ascertaining user satisfaction and the installer usually asks if you wish to install it or not. If it was on your protection list TM could not kill it unless you give TM the terminate flag when TM is on your protection list.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.