NEWBIE WITH ACRONIS TI NEEDS HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GinaPA, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinaPA

GinaPA Registered Member

I am trying to create a disk I can use in the event of a computer crash. If I'm correct, I believe I need to make an "image" disk? Normally I am pretty good about figuring out most computer software programs, but after printing several pages of the TI manual and going over the help menu multiple times, I feel like an idiot at not being able to figure out what to do.

In the backup wizard, after choosing to make an image disk, the window shows "Disk one". Underneath is listed three items: NTFS, FAT 16 and FAT 32. Do I need to place a check mark in the box next to these three (there is already a check in the box next to "Disk one"?

Even more confusing is the next dialog box that pops up which says: "Backing up partitions (or files) and the selected archive files location are the same. It is highly recommended that you copy this archive to another partition or removable media later. Otherwise, you will not be able to restore your data in case the partition becomes corrupted. Are you sure you want to continue with this procedure?"

HELP!! I have no idea what this is asking me or what to do! Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to proceed or where I can possibly find step-by-step, easy to understand instructions on creating what I need?

Thank you,
    Gina

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

For your first backup, you want to check the Disk 1 box so that all three partitions on your hard drive are included in the backup. This ensures that the backup will be bootable. Dell computers typically have these three partition. NTFS is your C drive that your see. FAT16 is a diagnostics partition that is small and hidden. FAT32 contains an image of the system as delivered and is several GB. After you make an image of the entire disk, save this backup. Afterwards, you only need to image the NTFS, C, partition since the other two never change.

If your hard drive is corrupted, you only need to restore the latest image of C, but if you replace the hard drive because it has died, restore all three partitions from the first backup and then restore the most recent C partition backup to bring the system up to date.

This is where you select where the backup image will be stored. You really don't want to store it on the same partition (C), so you need an external USB drive. This is the best place to store backup images since it is large enough to store several images.

Go out and buy an external USB 2.0 drive of at least 160GB. When you connect it, you can then select that drive as the place to store backups.

In my opinion, you should forget about the SecureZone, Recovery Manager, Incremental and Differential backups and just make full image backups to your external USB drive. If you want extra protection and have a DVD burner, split the images at 4.7GB and burn the pieces to DVDs as a separate step. Making image directly to DVD disks is a bloody pain in the ass, so use the two step method: first to the USB drive and then to DVDs for storage off-site.

Is that enough info?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GinaPA,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

If you want to image your whole drive, you may check the box next to "Disk one", or boxes near all partitions. If you want to image only certain partitions, just check the corresponding boxes. As jmk94903 noticed, it is much likely that FAT16 and FAT32 partitions are special ones placed there by computer manufacturer, and it's not crucial to image them more than once. However, if you are unsure you can alsways create an image of your whole drive ("Disk one" box in the current case).

Please notice that message indicates you have chosen to save the image to the very partition you are imaging. With this scenario in case of a drive failure you will not be able to access the image file as well, and not able to restore. To avoid that it is recommended to store images elsewhere (second internal drive, external drive or removable media, as jmk94903 suggested, network locations and so on). For a full list of supported media please see chapter "Supported storage media" of the respective User's Guide.

Please notice that in case of a main drive failure the computer will become unbootable. To be able to restore the image from another location you will need to boot your PC with Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. For instructions on how to create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media please refer to the corresponding chapter of the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

From one of my previous postings:
    As you are a new user, here are some of my suggestions.

1. Do create a full disk image backup as soon as possible. Before you do, however, download my beginners guide to backups. This will help explain your procedures. Also included in that pdf is several tutorial links.
    http://206.128.27.80/gh-misc/acronis-backup1.pdf

2. Do Not install the Acronis functions below until you have taken the time to find out how these functions work.
    ..."Manage Acronis Secure Zone"
    ..."Activate Acronis Startup Recovery"

Many choose not to install the Secure zone--especially if you store your backup files on other internal or external drives. Secure zone should not be created on external drives. Other members find the Secure zone helpful.

The Startup Recovery can interfere with your normal computer recovery functions. Understand its good point and not so good points should you decide to install this function.

Do your research (forum search) on these functions.

For those having difficulty downloading my pdf files, I have converted the 2 pdf files to a zip file.
    If interested, the temporary zipfile is 2,300.326 bytes and is about a 17 min download using 56K dialup.

Both pdf files are functional in Adobe reader 6 and Foxit reader.

http://206.128.27.80/gh-misc/gh-backup-recovery.zip

5. Pato

Pato Registered Member

As another newbie I also have a dumb question. I have found GroverH's pdf much easier to follow for all I need at present but in making a bootable CD it says in part "confirm all internal, external and CD/DVD drives are identified within TI Rescue Mode".
    I can't see how you do this?. I suppose it is starting me in the face but I could do with some guidance please?.
    Pat.

6. GroverH

You simulate doing a backup. On about the 3rd screen called " Partition Selection", here you move the slider up and down to view all your devices which contain data which might need a backup.
    Then progress to the device which will hold the backups. Make sure it is seen
    Do the same for a recovery. Make sure the source & destination are both seen.
    Repeat this procedure within Windows and from the Rescue CD.

Glad you found the pdf helpful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  7. Pato

Pato Registered Member

Many thanks for your help.
    Pat.

8. Pato

Pato Registered Member

Sorry to be a bother again but I am a bit lost.
    I have a 200gb HDD partitioned into four partitions of 50GB each. My PC:
    A Floppy
    C 50GB
    D 50GB
    E 50GB
    F 50GB
    G DVD-RW drive
    H CD drive
    I Seagate external HDD to which I want to image my PC

I get to the window "Partitions Selection" and it shows
    Partition
    Disk 1 which I ticked for Image of PC
    NTFS (C) Pri.Act 48.83GB Capacity NTFS
    NTFS (E) 48.83GB
    NTFS (F) 48.83GB
    NTFS (G) 39.8GB

Disk 2
    SEA_Disk (D) Pri 291GB 74.56MB Fat32 (LBA)

It appears to show my external HDD as (D) when it is (I)
    And doesn't show (G) as DVD-RW drive (but as a partition) and (H) as CD drive. No (A) floppy.

Where have I gone wrong?
    Any help appreciated. I read and re-read the manuals but am going around in circles.
    Pat.

9. Pato

Pato Registered Member

I forgot to mention I am using V10.0 build 4.871 which doesn't have the slider you mention but principle is the same. Cheers.
    Pat.

10. GroverH

pato,
    Please reread my recommendations on assigning unique names to your drives. Do not use drive letters as any basis for decision.

Your post shows your system disk as having 4 ntfs partitions. All are properly displayed. Ignore the drive letters.

Ignore the drive letter on your external drive. use the description for your decisions.

It appears only one of your two cdrom drives are displayed. I do not know which is displayed. Perhaps you can insert a data CD into each drive before bootup and see if it shows the files. Since you will not be creating a backup directly to DVD, you have time to figure it out via trial and error.

So far, what you have described is "normal" for TI.
    Grover

11. Pato

Pato Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is not showing either my DVD or CD drive.

How do you assign unique drive names?. I am sorry to be so dumb but am new to this. Cheers.

12. GroverH

Sorry, I was half asleep. The cdrom drive that you booted with using the Rescue Cd should show. It does not matter whether it is caledl cd or dvd--it still works.

Assign Unique Names to your Disk Drives
    This is my last post tonight.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.