Newbie - Windows Re-Install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by carlblaise, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlblaise

carlblaise Registered Member

greetings:

i'm absolutely new to this type of imaging/saving software ... anyway, i just purchased ATI and i copied my entire c: drive to an external hard drive (f:, in my case).

i went into the f: drive and could see that all the infor had been transferred; but i can't view any of it. by this i mean that i just wanted to scan a few word processing or program files to see that things were in place. but all i get is the message saying that windows doesn't know what kind of program should be used to open this file.

now, it's quite possible that i don't fully understand how this backup works. but was expecting that, in many ways, it was no different than a small usb that was used to store certain programs.

why this is all impt is that i have problem with windows that is going to require me to reinstall. so, i wanted to move all my data to another drive and then move it back over once the new installation is complete. but i'm reluctant to move until i can see that i really have stuff to move.

any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If it was a disk or partition image, you should be able to launch TI, mount/plug the image as a virtual drive and use Windows Explorer to view its contents.

3. carlblaise

thanks, weaz -- but how exactly do i do that?

4. divedog

divedog Registered Member

open TI click on explore image and follow the directions. It will mount as a virtual drive, you will see it when you open my computer. When you are done looking around use the unplug image function.

Attached Files:

• TI.JPG
      TI.JPG
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi carlblaise,

I think divedog's screenshot was created from TI 8. As you have just purchased TI, I assume you are using TI 9 and will find that "Explore Image" is now called "Plug Image". See screenshot below.

Regards

Attached Files:

• Plug.jpg
      Plug.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
  6. carlblaise

thanks, meno and dd. meno: you are correct that re: my recent purchase (yesterday, in fact). and i appreciate your help. i'm hopeful this will all seem simple (relatively) in a few days.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

8. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

"why this is all impt is that i have problem with windows that is going to require me to reinstall. so, i wanted to move all my data to another drive and then move it back over once the new installation is complete. but i'm reluctant to move until i can see that i really have stuff to move."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    If this is WinXP, have you tried the Repair function? This will do almost a re-install except that all your programs and data will remain as is, and should be the step to take before resorting to a completely new installation of the OS.

Also if it is ONLY data that you want to save, there is no need to use TI. Just use Windows Explorer to copy the data to the other drive. This way you are less likely to run into problems with the data.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.