newbie to forum ...Spyware Blaster HELP please

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by nagplbob, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nagplbob

nagplbob Registered Member

hi, I registered here for help with this specific problem

installed spyware blaster ... the following programs no longer work

spybot
    ad aware
    malwarebytes anti-malware
    super anti-spyware pro

they all previously worked together with AVG ... I did try adding the paths ? to both spybot and ad aware, with no luck

I un-installed spyware blaster, other proggys still wouldn't start ... tried an un-install/re-install of spybot and ad aware, with NO spyware blaster installed, still no joy

I am certainly open to the fact that I didn't have sb configured correctly to allow these programs ... but with SB removed, why won't they work now ?

haven't changed anything else in my XP SP2 ... what do I do now o_O ... any help/suggestions appreciated

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi,
    Did you install the legit programme Spywareblaster from Javacool ??, the latest version is 4.1, as there is a rogue programme out there called Spyware Blaster. See this thread........

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=499487&postcount=2

To correctly uninstall the legit SWB programme you need to disable all protection first. So you may have to reinstall it to disable all protection and then uninstall correctly.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1147749&postcount=2

Can you do a system restore to before you installed it.
    Do you have any anti malware programme left running to run a scan. ??

Regards Gordon

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. nagplbob

ghodgson, yes, it was the legit 4.1 SpywareBlaster proggy afaik, it did have the javacool LLC text under the exe ... I re-installed, disabled all protection, then immediately removed it via add/remove, then re-booted

tried to start Spybot 162, got Error 5, unable to create directory, access denied

tried to start Ad Aware - Error 1810, service not online ?? app terminates - tried to re-install aaw2008.exe, get Error 1920, fail to start, tells me to verify my privleges o_O

I cannot do a system restore ... I will run AVG, altho I won't expect much

this is now getting scary ... what is my next step o_O?

4. nagplbob

avg didn't find anything but some tracking cookies

anyone got suggestions ??

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster isn't capable of causing the problems you described (it mainly deals with incoming targets via Internet Explorer, Firefox, and other browsers - it doesn't mess with any system settings that would cause problems starting other anti-spyware programs).

In addition, if you reinstalled and Disabled All Protection (as you mentioned doing), all changes made to your system by SpywareBlaster were reverted - so there shouldn't be anything left that could even potentially be the cause of a conflict.

Based on the error messages you provided, it sounds like there may be a permissions problem on your Windows system. Are you running on an Administrator or Limited User account? Can you manually browse to, for example, the directory in which Spybot is installed? (Since it's giving an "unable to create directory, access denied" error.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. nagplbob

I wouldn't have thought SB could damage or change settings either (unless it was the wrong S/B as opposed to the correct SB) anyway it was legit ... but a very unusual coinicidence ... all other proggies stopped working the day after SB was installed

this is a general use computer, 4 separate users, with separate log ons, which I don't normally use ... I have been trying to keep it clean (2 teenagers) and SB seemed a good idea ... still, it's odd other proggies stopped working after SB install ... CCleaner at least got it working again, altho the other proggies still do not work ?? ... that is what I don't understand

yes, I can still browse anywhere, there shouldn't be any admin/user or permission issues, but I will check ... no telling what infection mighta got picked up from "myspace" or "utube" or wherever teenagers go ?? ... any further suggestions ? ... thanks

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi,
    What I would do now is uninstall the proggs you mentioned (spybot, ad aware malwarebytes anti-malware, super anti-spyware pro) and reinstall the ones you need from scratch with fully updated programmes/definitions. I personally wouldn't bother with ad aware, specifically if you use SAS pro. I imagine you use the immunisation feature in Spybot for IE ?, why not change to a more secure browser such as Firefox or Opera ? Since I have been using Opera I haven't had any infections/malware at all.
    When you have reinstalled SAS do a full scan and see what you get.
    What about turning on system restore, when everything is back to normal ?
    Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.