Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mrgrieves, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgrieves

mrgrieves Registered Member

Hello,

I have been a user of Kerio Personal Firewall for a while now, but noticed that it scored very badly on firewallleaktester.com. So I decided to give LnS a try. I have a few questions before I commit to a purchase though:

1. In Kerio I marked something as safe for internal and external access separately. In LnS I just mark an application as OK. Am I right in thinking the internet rules govern server access rather than the application ones?

2. I imported the edonkey and emule rules and changed my Shareaza port to 27580. Shareaza can now connect to all the networks but I still think Gnutella 1 is being blocked. Is there anything else I should do? The link to the shareaza rules file was not valid.

3. Windows XP SP2 does not detect it as a firewall. I think a new version is coming out to resolve this. Is "2.05p2" an update? (Does "p2" mean preview - ie beta - release?)

4. Are Application Layer Gateway, LSA Shell and Generic Host Process safe to access the internet? Kerio also used to ask me about them but I never knew what to answer!

5. Shield's Up (http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) is reporting that I have RPC and MSFT DS ports open. Kerio passed all these tests. Why is this?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

Yep, application filering's purpose is to give application rights (acces internet, launch another application to access internet and restrict outgoing connection), whereas internet filtering is mainly aimed at incoming connections.

2.05p2 version was designed, among other features, to allow security center detection of LNS under Windows XP SP2. Take a look at this topic

I am interested in answers too! For sure, there are some sites describing this but I am a lazy boy sometime ;)

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Packet-filtering, filters Inbounds and Outbounds.
    Wouldn’t be much of a firewall if it didn’t… ;)

4. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

lol, yeah right ;)

But in LnS, by design, application filtering rules outbound whereas internet filtering rules mainly inbound (in terms of applications rules).

PS : thanks for your rule-set ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  5. mrgrieves

Thanks very much for the replies. Does anyone have any ideas about this one:

Thanks,

John

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

If you mean LnS fails while Kerio passes... its probably because there's a rule in LnS to "allow" these ports to communicate (check with port no.s) and Kerio has a rule that blocks them. It maybe in the form of a definite rule that identifies port numbers, or a general rule like "Block all" at the bottom of your ruleset. Also, you fail to mention version nos. (especially for kerio... is it v2 or v4?)

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Have you loaded the EnhancedRulesSet.rls? or you still using StandardRulesSet.rls? If you are still using StandardRulesSet.rls, goto "Internet Filtering" screen, click the "Load..." button and select EnhancedRulesSet.rls file and click "Open" button.

8. mrgrieves

Yeah I have loaded the advanced set. I've also imported in a few other rules such as edonkey and FTP so I may have messed something up. I don't really know what these ports are or if they are dangerous.

I was using the latest version of Kerio (4.something)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.