Newbie Question - worst case scenario

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Olney, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olney

Olney Guest

I read through as many of the past posts on using Sysprep tool, but I'm still confused.

Here is the issue:
    I back up the complete image file of my C: drive to an external USB drive each night, using 6 different schedules (Mon to Sat). The complete C: drive is small enough so that the normal compressed image is only about 7Gb.

Since I use ATI as a daily backup program, if something were to happen to my computer's hard disk, I can install a new drive and restore from the ATI image file. However, if I were to have other hardware problem, say motherboard etc., then I would try to restore to another computer but then I would run into the Windows XP validation issue. And hence the Sysprep tool.

Can someone describe the step-by-step process in preparation for this worst case scenario, in migrating to a new system, so that a complete image can be prepared using the Sysprep? Preferably on CDs or DVD.

TIA.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Olney,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Unfortunately, you cannot schedule sysprepping along with image creation. Furthermore, even if you use Sysprep before creating the image we cannot guarantee that the restored system will work on the new hardware. If this happens the most reliable way is to use Windows Repair Installation. This procedure keeps installed applications and most of the settings and will allow you to boot the system on the new hardware.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. OlneyRx

OlneyRx Guest

Ilya,

Thank you for your quick response.

No, I wasn't trying to run Sysprep prior to each imaging job.

Rather, in the worst case scenario, I envision reloading the ATI Full Image to a new Windows XP machine. Since ATI was purchased for such an event (reloading to the original machine would be a piece of cake!!), can you or someone describe a step-by-step procedure in how to prepare the hard drive using Sysprep, what then to image to CDs or to an external drive, and then how to use Windows Repairfunction so as to get the system back up.

This would be a good primer for all of us who may want to store such backup in the event that we fry our hardware. I considered getting AlohaBob's PC Relocator for such a purpose BUT haven't heard too many good things about that. On the other hand, ATI is so much easier to use.

TIA.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Olney,

The exact procedure of System preparation is described at Acronis on-line article. Also you may find more information in Microsoft Knowledge Base (such as unsupported Sysprep scenario, etc.). Once you prepared the system you need to boot the computer with Acronis Bootable CD and create the image of the hard drive. After that you will be able to restore the prepared system to the new drive. The exact procedure about how to perform Repair Installation is described here.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Mem1

Mem1 Guest

I'm trying out ATI and while sysprep is a prior use procedure for imaging to new hardware, I am more concerned that I have images on an external drive and the original PC dies. I now need to reimage to a different PC. Obviously I don't want to manually perform sysprep on each image.

It would seem in this case, since sysprep was not used the following could be done:

On the new PC with only a formatted HD, startup with the ATI Boot CD, reimage the drive from the external disk drive, run Windows recovery console from the Window XP disk and then do all the updates from the MS Update site. Some WINXP settings will be lost and need to be reset (but which ones are unknown).

If the new PC has a WINXP install already, install ATI, reimage the drive from the external drive using the new install (F11 at startup) and then run Windows recovery console.

Does this make sense or is there another procedure that I can establish to do this more efficiently?

6. OlneyRx

OlneyRx Guest

Since this is a preparation for the "worst case scenario," I intend to continue to use the main system for everyday use. If I were to run the Sysprep on the main system, does it get modified? Can I continue to use the main system after I've run Sysprep?

TIA.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mem1,

Do not repair Windows via the Recovery Console. After restoring your previous TI image, boot from the original Windows XP installation disk and you will see the following (Note. If you had previously installed SP2 then you will either need to create a bootable Win XP + SP2 slipstream CD or reinstall SP 2 after the in-place upgrade/repair):

Press "Enter" at this stage, not "R". A little later you will be presented with another option to either Setup Windows or carry out a Repair. You can then press "R" and follow the prompts to carry out the in-place repair. After everything is working as it should, download and install any necessary updates from the Microsoft Update Site.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  8. Mem1

Mem1 Guest

Thanks Menorcaman - that answers a lot. Time to purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.