Newbie Question regarding Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Elray, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi, I am trying out Acronis TI for the first time and have created a Secure Zone on my second internal hard drive. So far so good - however I cannot activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager because I also use GoBack.

My question - I have recently been told that storing images in the Secure Zone is not the right way to go if Startup Recovery Manager is not also used.

I thought that I could use the bootable media I have created to get access to those images in Secure Zone should the need arise.

Am I correct or have I wasted my time with this.

Grateful for any help.

Elray :oops:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes the rescue cd can access the secure zone.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I use a secure zone on a second internal drive for all my imaging. I have never user the Start up Recovery Manager. Instead I use the recovery CD. My reasoning is that were the main drive to fail so would the recovery manager.

I understand that Go Back and TI can conflict in some circumstances, I cannot be specific as I am relying on hearsay. I have not investigated further as I removed all Norton/Symantec products form my computers some time ago and they are a lot better for it [​IMG]

Xpilot

4. Diavonex

Diavonex Registered Member

5. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and the information. I am pleased to find that I can access the Secure Zone using the recovery CD.

I also got rid of everything Norton/Symantic on my system with the exception of GoBack which has never given me problems and has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions. I would be reluctant to toss it out. Perhaps I just want the best of both worlds!

At this stage I have imaged my system partition with GoBack active and again with GoBack disabled. The TI user manual indicates that it is compatible with GoBack but that images cannot be restored without first disabling GoBack. Perhaps I had better investigate further.

My plan is a full image created monthly with GoBack disabled and 'on the fly' images created in the intervals leaving GoBack active. That way I was hoping to be able to revert my drive as a first resort and restore an image if that failed me. Might be time to consider another plan.....

Thanks again.

Elray

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

When you disable goback, you have to have it reassemble when you restart it. A real pain. If you have frequent backups, consider ditching the goback and just doing a restore if you need to go back to an earlier "time".

Skipping goback also means you can use a defragger on your drive.

sh

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are many in this forum who have ditched go back in favor of First Defense - ISR from Raxco. No issues with Acronis at all, plus unlike Symantec - Raxco does indeed provide excellent support.

8. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Since I started using TI I removed all Norton/Symantec products form my computer. I run SpyBot and it detects and removes any adware, viruses I may have. If all fails I just restore a known good copy of my “C” drive.

“I expect to pass through this world but once; any good things that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to my fellow creatures, let me show it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Just for your information Spybot does not look for or detect viruses. For antivirus protection you need an antivirus program. There are several out there including some good freebies that are updated daily and give on line protection.

Xpilot

10. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks all,

I'm a bit paranoid about security products (Nod32, Comodo Firewall, Ewido,AdAware, Spybot & Spyware Blaster) and try to keep ahead of the game so as not to get myself into too much trouble. It's a bit lonely here where I am with no real technical support available. That's why I like having GoBack installed as an extra security blanket.

I've been imaging with another program for some time but it is a bit geeky for my level of experience and there is no doubt that Acronis is simplicity itself to use. I've never had to restore from an image and I will be shaking in my shoes the first time I have to embark upon a restore operation!

The Raxco product looks interesting so thanks for that information. I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Elray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.