Newbie question about spyware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Larry1492, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry1492

Larry1492 Guest

This may sound a little dumb, but I would like to know if it is possible to avoid spyware by not using activex, java, and use a webmail service like Yahoo? This is exactly the setup I have with Firefox.
    Thanks.

2. giggy

giggy Registered Member

Well, not really! Sorry to disappoint you. Spyware is software made by publishers that allow them to spy on your internet browsing. It also invades your privacy, and can cause those popups everyone hates! For the most part everyone who uses the internet is really affected with these infected applications. Disabling ActiveX or Java really will not help you out for the most part! I would suggest running software made for spyware and adware! Like Spybot – Search and Destroy! It’s free and really does a good job at finding and deleting theses applications. You can find it here (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html ) Also, Ad-Aware by LavaSoft (http://www.lavasoft.com/support/download) this is really a good program too!

3. giggy

giggy Registered Member

I would also like to add that you can use the mail client Mozilla Thunderbird! I perfer it as to going to yahoo to check my email.

4. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

No ActiveX in firefox btw.

AFAIK Firefox protects you from driveby downloads which is so common with IE. This means that you will almost never get infected by merely going to a webpage.

If you turn on Sun Java, always make sure you are using the most uptodate versions. I have read some issues about firefox users getting nailed because they were using a older version.

Even then you could still get "spyware" by other methods. For example being tricked into running a trojan, or bundled stuff in some p2p sharing software.

BTW I don't include cookies or webugs in the defintion of spyware, but that is handled seperately according to your cookie policy. And web-bugs are a problem if you use webmail.

5. Larry1492

Larry1492 Guest

Thanks Giggy and FireFoxGuy. I am always careful about what I download off the web and try to practice safe surfing. I have Kaspersky Personal and Kerio running in the background and really did not want add another anti-malware program because I am an avid gamer and need the cpu cycles. I suppose I will download the MS anti spy (aka Giant Antispy) and run it as well to become safer.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

6. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

That is correct of course. But unlike activescripting in Internet Explorer, javascript in Firefox is much more restricted. As far as I know there are currently no exploits that involve remote execution of arbitary code that involve javascript in firefox. While many IE exploits require active scripting Phishing is another matter, but even that can be worked around by disabing some of the advanced javascript options (change status bar, raise or lower windows etc).

Yes very good even critical I think advise if you are using IE. Turning off active script blocks most but not all of IE problems. Turn off activeX as well, and you are left with maybe 1% (Exploits for IE have being found that work even without activex or activescripting!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.