Newbie question about firewall questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by daddymo3, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

I am not a technical user and probably never will be,but I do want to learn.
    Up untill a little while ago,all I used was the XP firewall with Spybot And Ad-aware. Through the advice of people on this site I went on to use Sygate, which worked fine.(I guess)Because of a problem with my comp. I now have Kerio.
    My problem is that with Kerio I am getting the pop-ups that ask me what to do and I don't recognize the item. Example; tcpip kernel driver,ICMP packet,UDP datagram to port 1027,to name a few.All I can do is deny any activity,because I search on Google and can't find any info about these items that makes any sense to me.Maybe Kerio is too much for me,I don't know.
    Is there a web site that can explain all these pop-up items?
    Or maybe I should be using a simpler firewall....any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi daddymo3,

A good place to start is Kerio Support at BBR. Be sure to take a look at the FAQ and help links.

Nick

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Well hopefully we can help in that regard ;)

Which version, the new 4.x or 2.1.5? I believe the newer version has basic and advanced options for configuration and that this can sometimes be confusing.

If in doubt deny first, look into it and then decide. When looking for clarification on whether to allow something it helps to note and post the application/service, protocol, local service/port, remote service/port and remote address. Rule based firewalls such as Kerio will require a little more learning and understanding of how things work in order to configure them properly and securely.

You will find some links in the Other Firewalls Sticky Posts and Other Useful Links for Kerio and customizing firewall rules in general.

Regardless of the firewall, some of the prompts may still be confusing at first. You could always consider ZoneAlarm which is a little more straightforward.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

Thanks "Crazy" for you help and suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.