Newbie Question about file Encription.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Victorb, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victorb

Victorb Registered Member

Hi all. I am new here and I am sorry if I am posting this question in the worng section. If so, could the moderator please move it to the appropiate section. Thanks.

My question is this. Does the actual 3 letter extention of the encrypted file matter? What mean is this. Say someone emails me an encrypted document that was encrypted with one of the dozens of free file encryption softwares out there. Do I have to download that program and install it to open that file? Or can I just change the the extention to match my encryption software and open it? Or do you have to download and install each program for every different type of encryted file you get?

Thanks

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

There are two ways to accomplish what you need. Forgetting the "extension" (your word) and just examining how this would work in the real world. If a person sends an encrypted file that is assembled by a specific software then you would need that software to decrypt the file on the other end. PGP encrypts to keys so to decrypt you need a key and its password, etc...

However many FREE products such as 7zip, old style PGP, etc.... offer the assembly of a self decrypting archive. The software itself bundles the encrypted file inside of an exe that will do the decryption for anyone with the correct password. The receiver does not need any software only the MUST HAVE password built into the encrypted file. So you can create a self decrypting archive (exe) and then bundle it into a zip file and send it as an email attachment to anyone. They only need the password.

Simply changing the extension (again your word) will NOT change what is needed to access the file sent.

3. Victorb

Victorb Registered Member

Okay. So if someone sent me a file the was encrypted with Meo Encryption Software using the Blowfish encryption algorithm, I could not decrypt that file with say, Truecrypt? It just seems to me (and I am not an expert) that what is most important is the algorithm that the file was encrypted with and not the program that used that algorithm to encrypt the file. But like I said, I am not an expert, it was just along these lines that I was thinking when I asked the question.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Nope you would have to use the needed software. Even the though the algo's are identical there are differences in implementation. The most common and widely used is AES. That algo is "deployed" differently even though its the same core.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.