Newbie PG Questions

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by kwesi, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi. I'm trialling PG Free, using it to guard Zone Alarm Pro, although I'm aware that there is some dispute in this PG forum about whether one should do that (or is this to do with the full version of PG only?).

My newbie questions are:

1) With the full PG program, do you think that ZA Pro should have Allow-Terminate privilege, with IE having the Blocked-Terminate field unchecked? I'd envisage that perhaps only ZA Pro & Task Manager would have Allow-Terminate privilege

2) I have the ZA process "zonealarm.exe" protected; should that ideally be "vsmon.exe" protected, instead, and how might I remove the former in favour of the latter, please?

3) How do I do a 'screengrab' from say my ZA Pro user interface - I always thought it was by using Ctrl+C, or Ctrl+N or something similar? Help!! :(

4) $Million Question - any idea when the new PG program and/or TDS-4 might come out?

(Not asking for much, am I :)!)Thanks very much.

Kwesi

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Kwesi.
    ZA already has Good protection but there are threads here describing which parts you can add to your protection list.
    Allow Terminate should not be necessary.
    Task Manager I would only give the terminate flag when needed.
    Do a forum search on ZA for other ZA users setups
    I use Gladwin which is free and is much moreflexible than print screen:http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/?prnscr
    This year :)

3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks, Pilli - nice and succinct!

I was only wondering about allowing ZA Pro terminate privilege over IE, because I am pretty sure that ZA Pro has the facility to 'lock' Internet Explorer access, if ZA detects a threat (or if you have set ZA to engage 'Automatic Lock' after a certain period of inactivity) - I'll check for ZA threads here.

I've checked out the Gadwin utility,and will try it soon (is the 'Print Screen' option not available in IE, & where is it available in MS Word?).

I'm really looking forward to TDS-4, as are others, no doubt, & feel sure that I'll be moving up to Process Guard full version very soon.

Thanks again.

Kwesi

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The print screen in windows is usually a two key combination as far as I know Alt + PrintSceen keys but this is not at all refined like other screen capture utilities. When you use Gadwin specify .gif as your image type as these usually look best on the web.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you want to protect Zone Alarm with PG the files to protect are 1st. VSMON.EXE. This is the heart and soul of ZA

2ndly protect Zclient.exe (assuming a recent version) This is the Graphic interface.

I have turned off Zone Alarm's self protection and let Process Guard do the job.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the information Peter, To answer Kwesi's other question, did you give ZA terminate allow?

Thanks again. Pilli

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Nope. Only privileges is VSMON.exe gets a read privilege. Neither one should need terminate.

Note these settings apply to Zone Alarm version 4.5.594. I have not ventured into za 5.0 land. They have had way to many issues with the newer versions, and I don't need what they added.

Just went back and reread his post. The automatic lock doesn't terminate any process, it just shuts down all the ports. Pulls the plug on accessing the internet. If you turn the lock on while surfing with IE, the browser stays open, just nothing more happens. Another words it doesn't do anything to IE.

8. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks so much, guys.

I'm going to try and change the protected program in PG Free later this morning (I don't envisage any probs - remove one, & add t'other, hopefully).

I've had no problems at all with ZA Pro5 - I know that I'm in the (not-so-vocal) minority on that front - but I'm only mentioning that, as once again, it bears out the adage that it's what works on one's own machine that's important when it comes to considering security (and, no doubt, other) software.

Your help is much appreciated. :)

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi agin Kwesi, May I suggest that you download a DCS free tool called Advanced Process Termination from here:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products
    Note:Close Message Handling is still somewhat experimental and you may get variable results using one of the kill methods.
    Select one of your other security programs to test it on.
    Also look at DCS's other free tools, they are exceptional value for money :D

Cheer. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.