Newbie/Operation in Progress takes forever

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by uzapuca, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzapuca

uzapuca Registered Member

Hi guys, I am very new at Acronis True Image. I would like to make an image of my just installed Windows XP with all the drivers (I do not know if the same than making a backup). Anyhow, I have to Hard Disks, I decided to use a partition of the Disk 2, to make the backup of windows, I believe I did everything correctly but now the Acronis Operation Progress says "Preparing...current operation in progress" and the bar will now move, and the Preparing stuff is more than an hour by now. I believe it just hangs itself. Does anybody knows what could be?

By the way is the Acronis Security Zone the same place to make back ups?

Sorry for the newbie question, I did check the FAQ, but I did not find a satisfying answer and also english is not my native language as you might see.

Thanks for any help and best.

Sebastiao

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sebastiao - agreed something is wrong.

I would forget all about Acronis Security Zone initially.

Just try to make a full image of you C: drive to the 2nd drive. Assuming you are using Acronis 10 you should:

start the program
    click on backup
    next
    my comupter
    next
    tick C:
    next
    find your second drive
    make sure that the folder reads something like G:\Mybackup.tib
    next
    create full backup
    use default options
    next
    next proceed

should take a few minutes unless Xp and programs are very large.

I assume the 2nd drive/ partition is big enough to take the back up ?

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It would help those responding to your query if you specified which version and build number of True Image your are using.

You do not have to use the Secure Zone it is entirely optional. As you have a second internal hard drive and you probably will want to keep your first set up image for some time a partition or even a folder on this drive would be best. So forget about the Secure Zone for now.

To help you in all backup and restore operations you should give a name to your drive partitions. This is because TI and Windows use different Drive letter assignment conventions. A descriptive name for each drive will avoid any possible confusion.

How exactly are you trying to make your backup Image ? The normal method is to do it by opening True Image while booted in Windows and then following the GUI.

Xpilot

4. uzapuca

uzapuca Registered Member

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot to Xpilot and Long View for their very helpfull information.

My True Image is number 10. Ok, I ll forget about Acronit Security Zone for now and I gave the Driver the name TRUE IMAGE BACK UP. I selected 10 Gb in a partition to copy Windows XP and its driver in case of general failure.

You said

How exactly are you trying to make your backup Image ? The normal method is to do it by opening True Image while booted in Windows and then following the GUI.

I did not quite get it. I just thought about doing a backup, the first command in True Image. I thought that was enought, isn´t it? Tell me if I am wrong.

Thanks again and best,

Sebastiao

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I think that "how are you doing the back up ?" refers to the fact that you can use Acronis in a numbeer of ways (1) open Acronis from within windows and click on backup or (2) you can use the emergency disk. You can put an emergency disk in your cd/dvd and then boot and back up or restore without having to use windows.

6. WillsLaptop

WillsLaptop Registered Member

Hi uzapuca,

After just installing TI10 I have experienced exactly the same problem - I used the backup wizard to backup my C Drive to my external USB drive and it just sat at the "Operation in Progress" screen. Eventually decided to kill the process after waiting approx. 20 minutes.

I then tried to back up just a couple of directories using the "My Data" selection. Same problem - just sat for ages at the "Operation in Progress" screen.

Decided to uninstall / reinstall TI10 rebooting the Laptop as required. Backs up my C Drive just fine now........ don't know what the problem was but a reinstall seems to have fixed it?

Regards

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.