Newbie needs Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jtj05, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtj05

jtj05 Registered Member

I just purchased TI8 and created my first image in the "Secure Zone". Why? 1.) I did not want to use 7 CDRW's to make image. Will later if I have to just to ensure image is stored externally. 2.) I purchased my Laptop at Best Buy and they said sold me DVD+R discs saying they would work just fine. They knew I wanted to image my disc so not sure why they sold me these instead of DVD-RW's. Anyhow, I can't get them formatted (Acronys says DVD+R must be formatted to create an image on them) with Nero nor did Sonics UDF work. 3.) FAQ at Acronis site states that an image can be created in a single file on my HDD and then copied to the DVD+R media. I tried but was unable to accomplish this. "Next" button would not highlight when I clicked on created folder or any file in My Computer or C drive. So I ended up creating the image at least initially in the secure zone. Can this be copied to the DVD+R media? If not how do I create an image in a single file on my HDD? Do I just need to go buy DVD-RW's or does anyone here have a solution for me? Thanx in advance for any assistance you can offer. {Standing by}

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Why can't you copy the image to DVD? What method are you attempting to do this?

I'm not sure what this would have to do with TrueImage, actually. You have a file (or files) and you want to burn them to DVD. What software are you using to burn?

I burn image files to DVD using Nero all the time. If it's an ISO filesystem DVD, be sure to make the images under 2GB in size.

3. Only RW discs can be (re)formatted.
    R can not be formatted. And don't need to be formatted.

DVD-R = cheap and can only be written once.
    DVD-RW = expensive and can be rewritten many times.
    It's your choice.
    But TI8 works equally well with both.

Did you ever manage to burn something to DVD?
    Maybe you just have a driver problem.

If you succeed immediately try to restore the image with your Boot CD
    Backups that can't be restored are useless.
    Use the BootCd not windows. Because when your system crashes you can't access windows.

4. BTW UDF format allows files >2GB

5. jtj05

jtj05 Registered Member

Mr

wdorman, Thanx for the reply. I have a pretty good understanding of difference between the DVD,s, but when I have a "DVD+R", evidently not the same as a "DVD-R", in the drive and I run TI8 the program does not read it. It calls for a CDRW only. Yes I can drag and drop to the DVD but have had no success with creating an image on it. To drag and drop I have to have "enable cd recording" checked, but to record otherwise windows says this must be unchecked. When unchecked or checked TI8 doesn't find it when attempting to create an image. According to Acronis FAQ a DVD+R has to be formatted. I don't know, only what I read and what I have experienced. Again, Acronis says an image can be created to a single file on the Hdd. Can you tell me how to do that?? or someone....

6. mantronix

mantronix Registered Member

You will be much better off just creating the image on your laptop's drive,
    break up the image into parts, say 4 gigs each and then later on copy them
    to your dvd discs using Nero.

By the way, DVD-R , DVD+R discs, Maxell, Memorex are about 30 cents a piece, so they are dirt cheap, if you want to go with no-name spindles then it's even cheaper.

Just watch out for silver topped media with no label or logo on them, they are total crap in most cases ( 99.9% of the time )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.