newbie needs help - differential backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by califlefty, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. califlefty

califlefty Registered Member

Hi folks -
    Using Home vers. 11. I did a full backup, selecting those directories I wanted to backup - no problem, I did not select my entire C drive since I already made a complete "mirror image" of that onto another external drive. So now, I want to do a differential backup, updating those files I've either added or changed.

When using the wizard it asks me the source, and I select "C drive", and I select "differential". BUT.... how does Acronis know which files I originally selected? Will it now add every last file off my C file. like system files, that was not part of my original full backup? I didn't want to proceed until I figured this out.

Other backup software allows you to creat a "script" that you can run that limits the backup to the original selected file set. Is that possibile? Thanks for your assistance.

2. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

It will backup any files which have been added to or changed in the folders you selected for your first backup.

3. califlefty

califlefty Registered Member

I'm not sure about this - when I begin this proceedure Acronis begins to copy system files from my C drive. Unfortunately it does not show the size of the backup it is about to process, which would give a clue. Can you provide some more information?

4. Earthling

You first have to select the same folder set you selected first time around. If you select a different folder set the new folders will be added to your incremental image. Then select your first backup and select Incremental.

It's a right palaver, and although it does work I wouldn't even consider using ATI for data backups. Other programs, such as Winrar are vastly superior. I only use ATI for disaster recovery, i.e. partition and disk images, and for that purpose it is good.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Why not just let it go and when it is done, explore the image and see what was copied. It should just update the folders of the original full backup.

I use TI for imaging my OS/apps drive but I have no interest in using software that puts my data files into a proprietary container file. I use SyncBack which copies the files in their native format to a different drive. No need to load a program or go through any nonsense to see what is there or not there. Also, any chance a bad sector or other problem will render the whole archive useless is significantly reduced.

IMO, a very desireable way to use an image program like TI or others is to have a separate partition for data/apps and at least one for data. This way you can blow away the OS at any time without worrying about losing important data files. It also reduces the imaging time for the OS/apps as well.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Just for clarification--

An incremental or differential backup is based on the contents of the last full partition or disk type backup. You cannot create these type files based on a selection of files by the user. (See correction in post 7 & 8, and & 4)

Backups are considered as sets. In order to do an incremental or differential backup, the original full backup must be stored in the same folder where the intended backup is to be stored. If told to create differential backup, it must see the original--otherwise, it will probably create another full backup.

A differential backup is one that contains all changes that has occurred since the last full backup.

An incremental backup is one that contains all changes that has occurred since the last incremental.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. Earthling

Not true GroverH. Please try creating a My Data backup yourself, then adding a file, and then repeating the backup. Incremental is the default choice, and the incremental contains only the added file.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thanks for the enlightenment. I never perform data only backups.

9. Earthling

Me neither, life's short enough....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.