Newbie needs a Computer Detective .....

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mypenry, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

I am running Windows XP Media Edition, with full up Dates. Normally I go and switch on the computer
    And then may be leave it running for 10 Minuets while I do some thing else, Then I come back and switch on the monitor and find every thing in order, in the past 5 Day’s ive done the above , OK but on 2 of the days
    Ive found that my computer has connected to the internet, with out me doing anything.
    When Ive looked at the connection it’s seem’s to be my normal ISP dial up phone number, and there seems to be a small amount of traffic, but I can’t see any web site connection..? Or what is using the ISP connection.
    I have done several full deep scans with the following programs… to look for dialers Etc ….

ewido 4 ( paid )
    Spybot S&D free
    AVG free
    Ad-Aware free
    a-Squared free

Ive also have SpywearBlaster and SpyweraGuard

The only things they found were Tracking Cookies.

And there have been no Dialers found, could it be some thing that ive accidentally done to my Dial up network connections settings…? ( can any one please advise me on the correct settings ) But if so why has the computer only automatically connected to my ISP on two occasions out of Five …? When first switched on…? And not connected evert time it was first switched on,,,,?

As you can see from my above post I am still a Computer ‘newbie’ so any help or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks …… Mypenry

2. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Why don't you try using System Restore to a point where you had no problems.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Have you tried the Analysis tools in Ewido?
    You may be able to identify a connection or process that is malware like a dialer.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I noticed in your program list that a firewall is not listed. Windows XP firewall only blocks incoming traffic. It does not stop outbound traffic that a dialer program would use. I would recommend using one of the online scanner programs (that you see in my signature line) or any of the HIPS programs such as Prevx, System Security Monitor, Process Guard, Defense Security Agent, or AppDefend. The HIPS program and/or firewall programs will immediately halt any outbound communications.

6. mypenry

Thanks guy's for the advice and comments, its given me some thing to work with ...

Thanks........... Mypenry

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

One thing that I would add is that if you feel that something suspicious is going on with the PC, then to post a question on one of the many spyware help forums and let an expert look over your registry and system settings to see if anything odd is present.

8. mypenry

Thanks Guy's for all your advice, I tracked the problem down to one
    AntiSpyware programme that as soon as I switched on my computer , it
    went into auto Dial up mode... my fault for tampering with its settings ..!!!

so again many thanks for all your help...

Mypenry

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have felt that whenevr there is something wrong in a system, most people run to look for any mlawre. In my very limited experience I have found most such issue due to some legitimat software conflicts, settings etc rather than malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.