Newbie confusion: I just want a simple disk image (.iso)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by a_gunslinger, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_gunslinger

a_gunslinger Registered Member

I have ATI 11. Im looking to simply disk image two separate drives. After great pains, i finally got my new system dual booting to Vista Ultimate on one hard drive and XP Pro on another dedicated hard drive.

The XP Pro hard drive suffered an MBR hiccup that required a reinstall of XP pro, and subsequent resettign of the dualk boot. Wasnt too painful now that I know he steps, but I have it exactly perfect and want it protected in case it happens again.

In ATI 11 I am having semantics confusion. I just want a simple image burnied to a DVD. It appears that ATI calls this backup/restore? But when I tried to backup my XP pro install (20 GB on a 149 GB drive) and tried to put it on a 500 GB external (with 400GB available) it says the disk is full?!?

Im confused. Am in fact using the wrong tool for the job? Can you make a bootable ISO DVD using this app? Many thanks!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have 20GB used for XP. The backup image will be 10-15GB and that would take three to four DVDs. Forget that.

The real question is why you can't backup to the external USB drive.

What build of ATI 11 are you using?

Are you attempting to make the backup of XP from ATI installed in XP?

Do you get the same results if you boot from the ATI Recovery CD and try the backup?

Have you checked the external drive with CHKDSK?

4. a_gunslinger

DVD approach forgotten.

Cant answer which build from here at work but would assume latest build since I just bought it Saturday and downloaded from that purchase link - assuming its current (possibly a fauly assumption) ;)

>>>>Are you attempting to make the backup of XP from ATI installed in XP?
    No. Was trying it from Vista and logged into Vista. Havent even isntalled ATI on the XP boot - sounds like I should.

>>>Do you get the same results if you boot from the ATI Recovery CD and try the backup?

Have not bade an ATI boot Recovery cD yet. Directions dont mention that part. I will make one to rule that out.

>>>Have you checked the external drive with CHKDSK?

Yes, and it reported fine (better be, its brand new.

Im beginning to feel that my quest for a simple disk image solution is a myth. Norton Ghost was just as convoluted. Probably easier to just buy a second hard drive, redo it, and then swap them out.

Thanks for the thorough reply!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello a_gunslinger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the external drive connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also describe your actions in backup creation Wizard step by step.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, that was an easy sell. :) And yes, the download is the latest build.

You can make the image of either or both drives from either one. When you want to restore a drive, if you boot and restore from the other drive, it won't have to go into the Linux environment since it's not restoring the boot drive. That would be a reason to do a double install. It's only one computer, so that's legal.

Yes, this is key in case you need to restore from the Linux environment. It can also eliminate problems caused by software or hardware installed under Windows that interferes with a backup.

Good, as it should be.:)

No, no don't give up yet. Having backup images that can be restored beats replacement drives every day. Keep at this, and report what happens when you try the backup from the bootable recovery media.

7. Sam49

Sam49 Registered Member

Hi to you all i have the same problem True image will not in my case resotre an image made on a bual boot computer with XP and Vista. i have made images in both systems and th xp system is restored perfect but the visat system has changed drive letters in the restore and the boot record does not know where to find vista.

I have reinstalle Vista 5 time now and made a image fils only to tst the restore only to have it trashed with TI 11 (build 8053)

i have made the images in both XP, Vista and with just the recovery disk before anyversion of windows loads.

I have used Ti for a number of years now and i have alway liked it, but it seem it does not like vista.

Regards

8. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Yet I have an XP/Vista/SATA/ATI 11 dual boot setup and don't have any problems imaging and restoring either partition*.

I seem to recollect reading here some months ago that problems can arise in this situation if the drive is formatted with Vista, but not when formatted with XP, and that fits my experience. This MD8818 originally had just XP and I created new partitions with it so as to be able to install Vista.

I wonder if the writer of that post is still around to elucidate?

* Not after I created a Vista PE boot disk with ATI 11 plugin anyway! The ATI Rescue CD couldn't see all my drives.

9. Sam49

Sam49 Registered Member

Hi to answer the above post i have formated the drive in both XP and vista, atfirst i just formated the drve with Xp i then used diskpart in vista to create a partition to installVista.
    Then fter several trys with this i reformaed the drive in XP and tried again, and yet another disapointment.

So i have made an image in XP and in Vista also with just the restore disk, so thats three differant ways, plus i have removed all my other drives so as not to confuse the restore but still it will not work.

10. a_gunslinger

Update:

Ok, have gotten farther. I was trying to image XP pro while in Vista. I made the Boot Disk and then imaged both XP and Vista to .TIB files. It seemed to work fine.

I have tried to restore them, but using the boot disk I was at least able to create them easy enough.

Im not sure why they have to be so huge though. No way they fit on DVDs.

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Have you tried the two step method. Use the "archive splitting" backup option. Create the backup onto another drive--such as an another internal or external drive--or you can even create the backup onto your system drive. After the backup is complete, then data copy the backup files onto CD or DVD. An archive splitting setting of 1492MB will enable 3 files of that size to be copies onto one DVD. If necessary, you can use more than one DVD. DVD is not my first preference for a backup medium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.