NEWBEE - Ok to run Mac pro with both NTFS for Mac and MacFuse?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by sinoue, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinoue

sinoue Registered Member

Can someone explain if I need both Paragon NTFS for Mac and Google MacFuse? I am migrating from an Alienware to my first Mac Pro (10.6.6). I downloaded the NTFS for Mac to help manage bootcamp and it worked great. I then installed VMware Fusion 3 and it installed MacFuse.

Am I duplicating functionality with both installed in my system preferences? Does OS X have any problems with both being installed? Which one gets used? Can I remove MacFuse without affecting VMware Fusion?

Sorry for all the questions but any insight would be appreciated.

In trying to research and answer I couldn't find much. I did find this cool benchmark saying Paragon was faster than NTFS-3G or Tuxera. http://www.codykonior.com/tuxera-ntfs-vs-paragon-ntfs-mac-benchmarks/

Stephen

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I think a good question why would you need both? Both are Virtual Machines that allow you to run Windows on Mac. I would chose one and be done with it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

These are not emulators.

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Ok then I used the wrong word big deal. You failed to even contribute to this thread so whats the point of your posting if only to correct my wording.

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Unlike MacFuse Paragon NTFS for Mac is full file system driver, which works in kernel space.

MacFuse has similar functionality, so Paragon NTFS for Mac will replace it. There should be no compatibility issues.

6. sinoue

sinoue Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for the info on why Paragon is better. I just finished several hours of copying old photos & music off my PC drives using NTFS for Mac without a hitch.

I'm now looking at HFS+ system drivers for Windows 7 64 bit bootcamp (since most of my new drives are now formatted Mac).

thanks,

Stephen

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not onlty wrong words my dear, you got it totally wrong.

Both are neither emulators nor VMs. NTFS for Mac is a software that allow you to read n write access to NTFS file system from within native native HFS+ file system of Mac. I don,t know much about Macfuse but it has similar feature to NTFS for Mac.

Don,t take me wrong, I just corrected your info and the info given to OP. More than that I can,t contribute as I never used even a Mac so how can I help the OP! o_O

8. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you see paragon HFS+ for Windows? http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/
    NTFS for Mac should include read-only HFS driver for Windows as a component. Did you check if it exists in My Account - My Downloads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.