Newb question

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Influence, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Influence

Influence Registered Member

I just purchased True Image yesterday only to find that I cannot clone a partition from my old IDE HDD to my new SATA HDD that will be used strictly for my OS (TI can only clone an entire drive, pretty bummed by that as I just wasted my money). Anyway, after checking these boards, I learned that that Disk Director CAN copy a single partition on one disk to another disk. Before going out and buying a copy a Disk Director, I want to make sure that I can accomplish the following scenario:

1) Clone (copy) my current C: drive (IDE,Win XP pro, about 15GB) to my new 74GB Raptor drive (SATA, G:) that will be used strictly for my OS. I want to be able to then switch my primary boot device in the bios to the Raptor drive and be back up and running in Windows without issue. The Raptor drive has been formatted as a single primary active partion by TI. I really don't want to perform a fresh install in Windows XP as I've got so many applications and stuff loaded and I'm really happy with how my PC is setup and running right now.

Can these programs even accomplish what I'm looking to do? Also, are there any other steps that I will need to take in order to get the cloned Raptor drive running properly (update the boot record on the new SATA drive, etc)? If someone could give me a step by step procedure to make this happen, I'd be forever indebted. Thank you.

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Influence~ How is your IDE drive partitioned? From what you've said, it sounds like you may be able to do what you want by using TI's Image Create/Restore (the concept of Cloning an HDD is to replicate the entire drive).

Btw, perhaps it's not for me to say, but using a 74MB Raptor just for the OS seems like a huge waste! ~pv

3. Influence

Current IDE drive is a 120GB WD SE drive. Two partitions:
    1)C: approximately 15GB for OS, MS Office, other core apps
    2)F: about 100GB for audio mixes, game install files, digital photos

I may decide to put a lot more on the Raptor drive (all apps, game installs) and just use the other new drive I got (160GB WD SATA SE drive) for music/movies/photos, etc). Trust, me your point is certainly valid. I can't wait to see how fast this drive is!

I did create an image of my current C: drive onto my F: drive without issue. However, when I try to restore the image via TI, it is not allowing me to restore the image to my Raptor (currently showing up in Windows as my G: drive). Heck, TI doesn't even show the G:(raptor) as a possible destination for the image. The Raptor has been partitioned as a single disk, primary/active as it will need to become the bootable win XP drive.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Something's fishy here... Are you using the latest build (889) of TI8? If not, I would d/l and install it...
    TI8 should see your Raptor (it works with mine)! I presume you tried this by using TI within Windows? Did you try using the Boot CD (which boots-up in Linux)?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Influence,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 is abler to copy your partition but there may be a problem with Windows starting from another drive. First of all, Acronis Disk Director Suite doesn' copy the MBR and you will need to create it using Windows Installation CD or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

More convinient way would be to create and restore the image as you tried. However, it is very strange that you cannot see Raptor drive. Could you please describe how you are restoring the drive? Please note that in Acronis Bootable CD letters assingment is different from that under Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Influence

I start up TI8. Click the Restore image icon, start the wizard.

Select the image from my current F: drive (old IDE drive) I CAN see my Raptor drive under the "select an image" screen
    Tell the app to verify the image (I've tried it both ways, verify or not verify)
    then when I go to choose a destination, the only location I see is "C: OS"
    I don't see the G: drive (raptor) or my F:drive (which makes sense since that is where the image file is stored).

I agree, something does not seem right here.

The G:Raptor drive has been set up as a single partition, primary and active so that it can be bootable. Does that have anything to do with my issues? Can TI only restore to a logical file partition or something like that?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Influence,

How exactly is the window where you cannot see Raptor drive called? Is it "Partition or Disk to Restore"? If this is the case then you are shown the partition which you want to restore. Obviously there will be only partition the image contains. You need to choose it and press the "Next" button. After that you will be presented with the window to choose where you want to restore the image. Please let me know if my assumption is not correct.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

Out of interest, why not? Couldn't you use True Image to make an image of the partition on the first drive and restore it on to the second drive?

Regards,

Lauchlan Mackinnon

9. Influence

Okay, feeling really dumb now . .

I was able to copy my OS image over to my new Raptor drive, but now I'm getting a new problem. After the OS image was copied to the new drive, I restarted, went into the bios and changed my boot device to the raptor and disconnect my old IDE drive.

Windows XP starts to boot and I get to my windows login screen. I enter my credentials and it looks like Windows is loading. Then it takes like 5 minutes until I get a pop up screen that because of substantial hardware changes, Windows needs to reactivate itself. so I hit yes to reactivate and the computer sits for like 3 minutes and then logs itself off and presents me with my login screen again. I log in and I get the windows error that I need to reactivate. So now I'm stuck in a loop whether I choose to reactivate or not. What do I do now?

I really starting to think I should just do a clean install of XP onto the new Raptor drive and stop wasting so much of my time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.