Newb at partitioning needs help

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by toastthemost, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toastthemost

toastthemost Registered Member

Hello. I realize that most of you are fairly skilled with this program, but I am not. I am using Paragon Partition Manager 10.0 Personal. I am fairly computer adept, but managing partitions and messing with boot files is obviously beyond me. Right now I am posting from a Parted Magic Linux build LiveCD, so I probably can do some editing on here.

This morning, I tried to delete my practically empty D:/ partition. This deleted with success, as now it reads as free space. The other half of the operation was a failure. I tried to move and resize C:/ (which had a lot of important data) to take up the unused space of the deleted drive. I thought this would be a painless operation, but after file move, it checked parameters, checked files and file system and hanged, doing nothing for 15 minutes. I forced power off, and rebooted, but it said it needed to complete the interrupted operation. I inserted the disk, booted from it, clicked yes to restart, and repaired whatever I could. Now, on reboot, I get a disk error, and every time I use the Paragon disk for the partition manager, it gives me the restart operation dialogue, but it doesn't actually do anything besides bring up the old dialogue, say that it is running the script, and goes away after about 1/4 second of being on the screen.

Now that you know what I did, I will list my problems. I cannot boot from hard drive. C:/ used to have 127ish Gb of data, now is listed as 144Gb (full size of original). C:/ drive letter is marked as unformatted, but full on space.

Is there any way of retrieving that data? I can wipe it clean if necessary, after I back-up the data (as I said earlier, it said it finished moving the files, which took over an hour, but it still finished). I do not want to lose all of my expensive software that I (an obvious newb) forgot/was too negligible to back up. If it can possibly reformat, without deleting the files (I know this sounds stupid...), will my original file system/files remain intact?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Some technical information from checking the disk in parted magic:

2. toastthemost

Re: Newb at partitioning needs help.

Sorry for the double post. A mod can edit that. I am not sure how to delete xD

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello toastthemost,

Assuming your OS is not a server (XP, Vista, 7), at this point, I would recommend booting to the Linux/DOS CD of PM 10 Personal. From a computer that works, install PM 10, go to Tools > Recovery Media Builder and burn a typical disk.

Restart the computer with the recovery disk in, select CD as your boot device and boot in with "Safe Mode".

If you receive any prompts about an operation that has yet to be finished, we can try to continue the task, otherwise ignore the messages and continue through the program. In the main window of PM 10, the first option should be "Partition Manager 10". If it's not listed, hit Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Backspace and the full scale launcher should come up.

You mentioned that the hard drive is showing up as "unformatted" or red, but reflecting the new size? If it's not labeled as NTFS, we have to run the undelete wizard. Right click the "unformatted" partition and delete. Apply operations. Under Wizard, select "Undelete Partition".

Choose the *Free space to scan, be sure to use the advanced settings. Select NTFS as the file system to search, this will drastically decrease your scan time and leave the remaining options default.

Once the scan finishes, you should have 1 or more partitions found, very important to make sure that the size reflects the old or new sizes (127GB to 144GB).

Once the NTFS partition is back in place, and if it's in the old size that's okay, right-click the partition to make sure it's active and unhidden. Back out to the main Window, use Boot Corrector to search for the OS, update MBR, update Partition boot records, and partition parameters.

Restart the Computer and cross your fingers. Not surprising if the OS does not boot. Go back into the boot cd, run the File System Integrity check and use the Windows XP/Vista installation CD to run a repair.

In the event that the recovered partition is not reflecting the wanted size, in Windows with PM 10 installed, you can expand the C partition by right-click, move/resize and extend the borders. This operation should be instantaneous and does not require a restart.

Also running a scandisk and defrag is strongly recommended.

4. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

First, Welcome to Wilders Security Forums toastthemost.....

NOTE: Bold Red highlight in Quote by HKEY1952

Boot the computer off the Microsoft Windows Operating System CD and enter the: 'Recovery Console'
    At the Recovery Console Command Prompt type: chkdsk c /p /r or chkdsk c: /p /r NOT chkdsk /f the /f switch is not an valid switch in the Recovery Console
    After chkdsk is finished, as instructed, reboot the computer TWICE!
    When rebooting the computer TWICE! be sure to bypass the CD and boot into Windows instead.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

HKEY1952

EDIT: corrections

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. toastthemost

Thank you both for such a fast reply.

HKEY: I tried what you said, however I encountered a problem. The Windows Recovery Disk did not recognize any previous Windows OS to repair, so the option to enter the recovery console was not there. There was a recovery option in the "Install Windows Vista" dialogue (which came up automatically), but no command prompt option. Is it possible to do this elsewhere? It doesn't work in Linux command prompt, so I am searching for a DOS script .iso that could run it.

Tommy: I made a recovery disk prior to the partitioning operation as recommended by the software. I am about to do as you said, I just have to write it all down xD lol. However, Linux did recognize the space of my original partition as 144Gb as NTFS with errors, so I will try the recovery console. Sorry I did not clarify earlier: it reads as unformatted in the recovery console, and NTFS with errors in PartedMagic (Linux).

I have class for the next four hours :/ so I will get back to working on this tonight.

6. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Then follow the advice of Paragon_Tommy

HKEY1952

7. Paragon_Tommy

If in Partition Manager recovery CD, it still shows as NTFS, I would run a file check integrity scan. You can right-click the partition and browse partition to make sure your file system looks intact.

Then check active, unhide, use boot corrector to search for the OS and reboot.

If your initial boot doesn't work, boot to the CD, and choose the last option, instead of normal/safe mode. This will try to scan for operating systems and directly boot to it without an MBR. Take note of what error messages pop up.

8. toastthemost

It says unformatted. Also, I tried to do the last option, and that did not work either.

I tried to run Recovery in Safe Mode, but it showed the preloading screen with the periods and after five minutes I rebooted because it wasn't doing anything. I am just using normal mode now, unless it is regular that I have to wait a while for safe mode to load (wouldn't make sense on such a small disk, though).

Under recovery console, I could not find anywhere that allowed me to delete the partition. On the express resize wizard, it will not let me do anything unless I have two logical or primary drives. If I use the previously deleted D:/ that was to be added onto C:/, make it (with GParted) a new, active, logical partition, would this let me be able to try to delete C:/ and undelete it?

Thanks you guys for your help. Hopefully we will find a solution soon.

9. toastthemost

Yes I know, I am quoting myself... But, I tried running in safe mode again, and safe mode with low graphics, and both just sit there for five minutes without doing anything (the periods on the top of the boot screen). It didn't sound like the CD was running, or the processor working, so I aborted after five minutes of staring at a blank screen.

I made the previously deleted drive D:/ a new active, primary partition, but on the express resize wizard, it still states I need to have two adjacent, primary/logical partitions for it to work. Also, the restart interrupted operation dialogue does not pop up any more, so it might have forgotten the entire operation somehow by my doing of repairing various what-not.

I realize this is a Paragon Partition Manager forum. I apologize for my references to GParted, but with PPM (is that how you truncate it?) and Windows currently in Limbo in the C:/ drive, I am with Linux and GParted, which the latter is a very powerful tool, but lacks the ease and friendliness of PPM, even though PPM's stopping/my impatience messed up my good drive for the moment. So all of this nonsense of this last paragraph summarized, if you want me to repartition, and the PPM recovery disk does not work, I have to probably use GParted.

Is there any way I could image and back up the current C:/ drive (considered unformatted) to an already formatted drive? That way, I might be able to actually dig through the data and possibly re-image the drive.

10. Paragon_Tommy

Does your hard drive say "*FREE" ? If it's *free and teal color, then it's already unformatted and raw. Just run the undelete under Wizard.

If it's not Free, right click the partition and delete, apply operation.

When you undelete, it's best to NOT write any new data, or table to the drive.

So for instance, if you had a C: partition, then delete, create D: partition, and delete; the undelete may only find the D partition parameters, not the C: partition. And the only way to distinguish the two if both were found, is by its size. Undelete is not a miracle tool and your best chances are right after you've made the mistake to run it immediately, and its most likely you will only recovery the most recent partition lost.

11. toastthemost

Okay, C:/ is not considered FREE, so if I delete the partition with another tool (ie GParted), will it be able to undelete in the wizard? Also, where is the undelete wizard? I can not find it on the Paragon Partition Manager 10.0 boot cd :/

12. Paragon_Tommy

Right-click the free space and undelete. Is there a reason you're still using GParted to delete/create partitions? You can do all that with Partition Manager 10. This way we can keep things consistent. Lastly, I don't recommend using any of the wizard to resize, but use the full scale launcher.

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Only if you cannot rt click C and delete with Paragon - then try with Gparted.

The Undelete option will appear if you rt click the Unallocated space:

PAR-UNDELETE-2-2009-10-23_212115.jpg

PAR-UNDELET-1-2009-10-23_212004.jpg

Hope it helps.

Edit: Tommy beat me to it.

14. toastthemost

I cannot access the full program as it is on the drive that is currently down. On the recovery CD it had me create, it is only the express resize wizard... :/

I deleted the drive on GParted, since there wasn't an option on the CD I have (I am not sure if I made this wrong, but it is possible...). I am currently in the process of trying to undelete partition.

15. toastthemost

Update: cannot undelete partition with many utilities used. Since there is no undelete wizard/function in the boot CD PPM Personal prompted me to make, I can not seem to find any hope. Thanks for all of your help. Once I get my Windows 7 DVD in the mail, I will just start from scratch :/ darn.

16. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

17. toastthemost

18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi toast,

You're welcome

Thanks for posting back. Glad you recovered everything.

19. toastthemost

To give PPM Personal some credit, it did repartition my drive correctly later. Got one big volume, exactly how I wanted :D

20. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, PPM is very good.

Happy it all worked out for you.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.