new windows firewall/zone alarm free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jymmyp, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jymmyp

jymmyp Registered Member

:doubt: Hi. i just downloaded and installed the new windows upgrade sp-2 my question is,is the new windows firewall enough or should i continue using zone alarm 5.1 free?thanks for your help

2. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Jimm,

Always use a software FW as you are using now, as the Windows FW only blocks incoming threats. ;)

rgds,
    Martin

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Please also check this article SP2's firewall is not good enough. Since it can be shut down (or its rules altered) by other programs, it cannot be relied upon to prevent malware from sending data out.

4. jymmyp

jymmyp Registered Member

:) Thanks for all the info this has got to be the best forum that i have been on
    i have to say if you have a question YOU WILL GET AN ANSWER again thankyou JIM

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You will almost definitely find ZA 5.1.011 will lock solid your system if you have SP2 installed, it may not be straight away, but it will happen...

You are better off going back to 4.5.594, it doesn't have the problems the latest release does. There are other threads here at Wilders discussing the issue and SP2, see here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44118

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

6. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

I thought SP2 firewall also checks outgoing connections

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), currently in Beta testing, includes the Windows Firewall, a significant enhancement of the feature previously known as the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). Windows Firewall is a stateful host firewall that drops all unsolicited incoming traffic that does not correspond to either traffic sent in response to a request of the computer (solicited traffic) or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed (excepted traffic). This behavior of Windows Firewall provides a level of protection from malicious users and programs that use unsolicited incoming traffic to attack computers. With the exception of some Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) messages, Windows Firewall does not drop outgoing traffic.

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/103-p1.php

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Ron,

Very informative link. Thanks.

I have not changed to WinFirewall after download of SP2 from ZAP 4.5 on one machine and Norton Firewall 2004 on the other machine and do not intend too either. :cool:

It is a step in the right direction for all those PC users who I meet who refuse to believe they need a firewall,l but will download a windows "patch". :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.