New Virus Once Again?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Hijacked, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hijacked

Hijacked Registered Member

Here is my log from Spybot. Please help me clean this out once again. Why is Norton never catching any of this?

WildTangent: Autorun settings (Registry value, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\wcmdmgr

WildTangent: Global settings (Registry key, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WildTangent

WildTangent: Personal user ID (File, nothing done)
    C:\WINDOWS\wt\info.txt

WildTangent: Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
    C:\Program Files\WildTangent

WildTangent: Uninstall settings (Registry key, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wcmdmgr.exe

WildTangent: Uninstall settings (Registry key, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wtwebdriver

WildTangent: Updater directory (Directory, nothing done)
    C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater

WildTangent: Updates directory (Directory, nothing done)
    C:\WINDOWS\wt\wtupdates

WildTangent: Web driver (File, nothing done)
    C:\WINDOWS\wt\webdriver.dll

WildTangent: Web driver directory (Directory, nothing done)
    C:\WINDOWS\wt\webdriver

--- Spybot-S&D version: 1.2 ---
    2004-02-26 Includes\Cookies.sbi
    2004-02-29 Includes\Dialer.sbi
    2004-02-29 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
    2004-02-26 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
    2004-02-29 Includes\Malware.sbi
    2003-03-16 Includes\plugin-ignore.ini
    2004-03-09 Includes\Revision.sbi
    2004-02-26 Includes\Security.sbi
    2004-02-29 Includes\Spybots.sbi
    2003-03-16 Includes\Temporary.sbi
    2004-02-26 Includes\Tracks.uti
    2004-02-29 Includes\Trojans.sbi

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Hijacked,

I have moved your thread to here where it will get better attention.

To answer your question as to why Norton's isn't catching this, is because wildtangent isn't a virus, and Norton's isn't an antispyware program.

You may want to look at this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=34709

Regards,

snap

3. Hijacked

Hijacked Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Does this mean I need to dump AIM in order to make my computer run properly? I've never had this issue until the past few weeks and we've had AIM for years, although I dumped AOL account (whew....what a beast).

Am I supposed to DO anything with this log when Spybot shows me what is messing things up or just leave it? What do I delete of the spyware and what must I keep for the AIM to keep running? Is this going to be a constant with this program in my computer?

Thanks for the help, as you can tell, I need it.

4. snapdragin

Hi Hijacked,

I do not have the most recent version of AIM so I don't know if wildtangent comes with the newer AIM install, or if removing the wildtangent part disables AIM or not. I'm afraid someone who has installed and uses the newest version of AIM would have to tell you about that.

It has always been recommended to have Spybot S&D remove/fix what it lists in red. But you do have several choices to try. You could check the items for removal that Spybot S&D lists in red, and see if your AIM still works without the wildtangent components. If it doesn't, then you can restore the items using Spybot's restore feature. Then if you still want to keep AIM, you will have to put the wildtangent entires that are listed, in Spybot's ignore option.

Regards,

snap

5. snapdragin

Here is a little more information on wildtangent:
    Kephyr - Wildtangent Overview

So you could try uninstalling it through the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, but again, it may affect the program it came with from working correctly afterwards (in this case, newer version of AIM).

Or you can try and configure wildtangent to not 'call home' to check for updates, and block it with your firewall from connecting to the net.

Regards,

snap

6. Scubaa

Scubaa Guest

hello all that ive seen i read all your post and i have the same problem. BUT... i delete all of the stuff that i could delte from WildTangent but im guessing the main iteams would not Delte it. ive tried useing add/remove but it just sticks itself back. ive tried Quarantine it and nothing. ive tried upfront deleteing it and nothing. i use ad-adware version6 to get it but nothing. if anyone can help plz do by contacting me at ~snipped~ @hotmail.com plz write a subject like "Deleting WildTangent" or anything like that. one major thing i saw that you all think invected my comp was the newest Aim... i have recently DownLoaded that version of Aim and i do not know wether to delete or uninstall it but im not taking chances yet. i want to see what you all saw before i proceed. Thank You.

Scubaa

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

To remove the Web Driver, and associated software, please do the following:

1. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2. Select the WildTangent Web Driver
    3. Click Remove
    4. Select the WildTangent Updater
    5. Click Remove
    6. Select the WildTangent GameChannel
    7. Click Remove
    8. Reboot
    9. After uninstallation, open your Windows directory, and delete the wt folder
    10. Delete the c:\program Files\WildTangent directory

If you manually deleted the folders prior to uninstalling the software, you will need to reinstall the Web Driver with Gamechannel, then follow the instructions above. You can find the Web Driver with Gamechannel installer at: http://www.wildtangent.com/default.asp?pageID=webdriver_download

Please Note: If the Wildtangent Control Panel icon still appears in the Windows Control Panel, you may need to search your computer's hard drive for any occurance of the files "wtcpl.dll" and "wtcpl.cpl" and remove it. This occassionally occurs when an older version of the Web driver was partially removed.

To remove a game, please follow the instructions below

1. Open the Windows Control Panel, and select the "Add/remove programs" icon. (Start> Settings> Control Panel)
    2. Locate the game you wish to remove in the list, and select it.
    3. Click Remove (or Change/Remove)

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If you have AOL instant messenger or any AOL thing on your computer, you will have wildtangent. AOL bundles a spyware called wildtangent with their programs. If you don't want wildtangent to come back, get rid of all AOL programs on your computer.
    See this thread for comments on AOL: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=232179#post232179
    AOL ~snipped unnecesary comment - snap~ like nothing else. Trust me, I used it not so long ago... :p :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  9. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

I have read that the new updated version of AIM give you the option to install Wildtangent or not (and it actually works!). AOL itself dosent come bundled with any Wildtangent.

10. Scubaa

Scubaa Registered Member

hello all I was able of getting rid of WildTangent with the advice that you all said. mostly from Nadirah. i just deleted all AOL iteams and removed Wildtangent with add/remove and it was gone. TY all and ill be checking in more often to see what new virus have come up. TY again. Cya..

Scubaa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.