New Version of Windows Planned for Older Machines ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by newstemp, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newstemp

newstemp Registered Member

Hello,

I read an article recently about a planned new cut back version of Windows that would run on older Win98 era machines still in use by, e.g., libraries etc. Can anyone verify this story as I am now looking for new anti-virus software for a friend's Win98 SE machine since AVG stopped their support.

Thank you,

DH

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here is one that will work om Win98

Attached Files:

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

4. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Omniquad, VirusFighter, VirusBuster, ProtectorPlus, a-asuared antimalware, are all paid and do well on 9x/ME systems, and Rising Free AV will work on 9x/ME quite well. I'd rather get a free on demand scanner and a paid real time antispyware such as SAS or OmniQuad or an old a-squared from filehippo.com, and which supports 9x/ME. From my experiences, it "ain't" the viruses that get you -- it's the crapware!

Dave

Add Dr. Web, NOD32 for Legacy Systems -- all paid.
    AVZ www.z-oleg.com, ClamAV and ClamWin are free sans real time.

5. newstemp

newstemp Registered Member

Hello,

what is the advantage of a paid "realtime" anti-spyware program vs a free anti-spyware program included with, e.g., Avast ?

DH

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Well, the paid AS will support your 98 SE operating system much longer than avast!, which shall discontinue 98 support in December. And 20-25 bux or so it worth it. Stick with the AV you like but START SHOPPING NOW for an paid AS --

OR!

Download the FREE BitDefender Version 10 from filehippo.com, keep it handy. when avast! drops 9x/ME support. Load BD 10 FREE and during the install, choose the COMPLETE option. You shall have VM protection, AS/AV on-access protection, download and P2P protction and email scanning on a 9x/ME machine as well as some registry protection.

THIS WORKS ONLY ON 9x/ME PCs!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.