New version of ShadowProtect Desktop

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Antarctica, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

There is a new version of ShadowProtect, can I install it on top of version 3.1.0.3 or is it better to uninstall first?
    Thanks

2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Uninstall first.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think you can do both (from the installation upgrade page). I chose to install on top, as that would avoid reactivating the program (activation is not unlimited).

4. egghead

egghead Registered Member

How is that ?

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I may be getting confused with another program but I thought that if you uninstalled SP to load on another machine the program was deactivated first allowing you to reactivate on the new machine ? so with the upgrade you could uninstall and deactivate and then install the upgrade and activate.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am talking from experience.
    If you just uninstall SP you wont loose your activation.
    You have to deactivate SP in order to move it to another machine (or FDISR snapshot for that matter) and then activate it again. So SP does not deactivate by only uninstalling it.
    You can only deactivate SP so many times, for me it was three or four times then your code gets locked and you have to contact support.
    You can only hav SP active in one machine at a time (unless you have license for more I guess)

btw anyone heard about when they will release the new recovery disk ISO?

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying this point. In order to check for the new ISO image I downloaded it again thinking that it might have been automatically upgraded too (and lost one download). In the StorageCraft forum, they said that it was a matter of days to issue the new recovery CD.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks all for your reply.
    I finally install on top and it's working perfect. Anyway with FDISR I felt quite confident in case of major problems.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

That's a bit naughty. The guide says:

"You can deactivate your license if you are retiring your system. This will allow you to install the product on the now system and reactivate the software. To deactivate click on the Help Menu bar and select Product Activation. Click the Deactivate button and you will be presented with a message stating you can no longer use this product key on this machine. Click OK."

No mention of only being able to do this 3 or 4 times. I think I have probably activated twice now so will have to be careful.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah I know. I would call it plain stupid and seems to serve no purpose imo. They should at least state that in the guide. But now you all know so be careful.
    This software is so damn good that I will keep my fist in my pocket, for now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.