New version FirstDefense-ISR Professional v1.10.173

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by King FN Kong, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

anybody using this version? feedback? i removed firstdefense first, then installed this one. it took my previous installation's registration.

updated 10/01/06

what versions are most of you using??

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use :
    Product: FirstDefense-ISR 2000/XP Professional
    Version: 1.05 Build 166

I visited the Raxco website and there is no new version, otherwise it would be downloadable in my personal account.
    You must be talking about the Leapfrog version, which is normally for resellers only and it has no support.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I use the Leapfrog version 1.10 build 172. I cant find any info on what has changed though... probably a minor bug fix? the 172 build is running very stable on my system so I´ll wait until more info emerge.

4. King FN Kong

yeah its from leapfrogy. ive been testing today. no errors so far. im tryin to so how compressed snapshots performance is.

5. ErikAlbert

Yes compression will be one of the new features. Unfortunately that will be all, while our wish-list is put aside.
    What is bothering me daily in FDISR :
    - The freezing feature, only ONE frozen snapshot is possible
    - The schedules are only time-related and the password should be optional
    - The copy/update processing screen should be ONE screen instead of two.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The fixes appear to be:
    v.172 only had two fixes last time I checked their site. I think they forgot to change v.172 to .173. ;)

7. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Will the updated Leapfrog version work with Raxco serial numbers. Leapfrog updated the software over 3 months ago, and still no update from Raxco.

What are they waiting for?

8. sukarof

Thanks TonyW. No need to update as far as I can see, none of the fixes applies to me

I have a Raxco License that I bought more than a year ago and it works fine with the Leapfrog version. But remember that Raxco wont give you any support with the leapfrog version and bla bla and yadi yaa ;)
    I have heard something here about raxco are still testing it o_O
    There are another vendor that also sells FirstdefenseISR and they have updated (at least to .172 after a couple of weeks when Leapfrog made it public this summer.
    The main difference to the Raxco version is: Compression of snapshots (about 30%) and support for internationalized versions of Windows + the updates for .173. If you don't need that (and depend on support) and the raxco version you have runs fine there is no need to upgrade.

9. silver0066

I like the idea of compressing the snapshots to speed up my Acronis imaging process. Does the copy/update snapshot feature of FD-ISR take noticeably longer because of the compression feature?

Many thanks

10. ErikAlbert

I don't see any new functions or improved functions, except compression.
    Compression is good for those who need it, but I don't have a space problem.
    For me, it's certainly not a sensational new version.

11. sukarof

No I don't see any noticeable difference in speed when creating/updating nor when booting into and running a compressed snapshot.

12. silver0066

Thanks sukarof,

I think I will try the Leapfrog edition with Raxco license. I have 2 XP snapshots and 2 Vista snapshots on my system drive. Maybe it will speed up my backups with Acronis Workstation.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think they are not too interested to improve its features. I wish they get a good cometitor. Even the GUI needs work to make it user friendly.

14. ErikAlbert

If they don't improve its features and I find one day an equal software with more features, I will ditch FDISR without any hesitation.
    RollbackRx/EazFix isn't a replacement for FDISR, they are both too different.

15. ErikAlbert

Not too spoiled, just improving some existing features in the benefit of the software and to protect it against competing softwares, although the competition isn't big, but that can change any moment. :)

16. King FN Kong

i agree whit acadia on the good grief. fdisr just works. i duno what else to ask. interface is already sweet and easy to use. wish they dont update and make it bloated.

17. ErikAlbert

Well I'm not good in expressing myself in a foreign language.
    I know exactly what I 'm talking about and there are some features that can be improved and I'm not talking about minor issues or gadgets or colors.
    Maybe you don't see these improvements or you don't use these features, but that doesn't mean that these features don't need to be improved. :)

18. ErikAlbert

I don't follow your reasoning at all, but I'm not going to discuss any further. :)

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@ Acadia
    @ King

I don,t agree with u at all. A good software does not mean that I will never criticise on it. FDISR is good but it needs more improvement sure. I don,t like to be a just a fan boy of any software.
    Let me just reveiew the user friendliness of GUI. When I right click a snaposhot and select copy/ update, it gives me the option to select a snapshot which I want to copy/ update, now this makes no sense to me. when I have right clicked a selected snapshot and say copy, that means I want to copy this specific snapshot, no point of giving me all the list of snapshots again to select. It,s a smmall thing but i find it rather irritating.
    Secondly, The snapshot window is made in such a way that it,s hard to see all the columns unless u make the window full screen that is again indicative of a poor GUI.
    Also copy uypdate options should be separate to prevent beginners from any confusion.
    If any one has used EAZ-FIX, he will know how user friendly is the GUI there.
    Pls note that I am not comparing EAZ-FIX with FDISR anymore, I am just comparing the GUI user friendliness of two software with similar options. It was so user friendly that hardly I ever need to read the help file.
    About the features, I will not comment as i am new to FDISR but Eric is right, adding some useful new features does not make a software bloat. If they are not caring for the wishlist of users at all, they are wrong. I can safely say that the main reason for this is that there is no competitor. A healthy competition is always good.

20. King FN Kong

hi. is there anyone from leapfrog who posts in this section?

21. ErikAlbert

And thirdly, when you have to boot in another snapshot via FDISR, you have to go through too many screens to confirm the boot. What is so dangerous about booting in the wrong snapshot, if you ever accidently choosed the wrong snapshot. Just boot back in the right snapshot and case closed.
    All these minor GUI problems are fixed in no time by a programmer.
    My list a bit longer, but I will keep that for Raxco. :)

22. ErikAlbert

Next time I will BEG on my knees with alot of sliming. :)
    Leapfrog/Raxco should be very pleased with our suggestions and ideas, because we IMPROVED their software for free.

23. ErikAlbert

Very irregular, but everyone can read Wilders without posting. I hope they do, especially our wish-list, to improve FDISR.
    IMO their priorities are wrong. They first create PerfectDisk 8 with a total new GUI and this is just a defragger, while FDISR is a much more versatile and more important software, that needs improvement. Beats me.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Acadia, I am with you on this one. I've always just clicked the camera and selected from snapshot and then two snapshot.

Frankly, I am just delighted that FDISR, does what it was designed to do, and does it so well. Aigle, you may have a point, but the example you chose, leaves totally unimpressed. I totally agree with what Erik said about a couple of the defaults, but thats still trivial compared to what the program has done for me.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually Erik, I suspect they know exactly what their priorities are. Perfect Disk is probably their bread and butter product. So that's what get's the priority. Frankly I can live with FDISR just the way it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.