New variant of Mydoom

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by izi, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creature

creature Guest

(first time poster here) Happens to me. Appears to not occur initially but then may (or may not) occur part way though trial period. I reinstalled nod32 & it updated properly for 10-15 days then began to repeat fetch/apply updates on 1.614 (20040129) and continues to do so.
    I suspect it is a behavior confined to the trial version - either by design to discourage continual use of the trial version *or* is a bug within the way the trial copy records it's currently installed ref-file. The registered copy does not use whole-ref-file updates, it utilizes incremental updates which are comparatively tiny. If the problem occured with registered copies ESET would hear about it & fix it immediately.

To the frustrated user:
    don't wipe your drive & re-install OS - this is a NOD32 issue that is probably confined to the trial version and definately does NOT have anything to do with OS, bad client installation or malware infection. I have occassionally seen this behavior with NOD32, it appears to occur with certain updates suggesting that the version heading in some updates is not properly read by the client when using whole-file updates.
    On my client (trial) the last two ref-file releases (1.613[20040128] & 1.614 [20040129]) have been stuck in stuck in perpetual re-apply.   A non-solution work-around is to reduce the frequency of scheduled server hits (in OS scheduled tasks) to, say, daily - then when you see one "stick" you can go back to hourly, if desired.

Hope this clears things up for people. I speculate a little on the topic, but not much as I've been selling my customers on ESET's nod32 for over 3 years and this is *definately* a behavior I have seen before - though I cannot recall if I ever saw it prior to nod32-version 2's release (June 2003).

- FirstTimePostToWilder's (great site!) from 'creature' in NH.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

creature,

Quoting Anders, this is most probably the answer to the question:

"this seems to be the full version, but with a limited username and password, for evaluation.

If you want the trial version, I suggest that you either uninstall that version, and download the trial version from the website, or ask the distributor in your area if you can have a temporary username and password for evaluation.'

IMO a counterpunch from Eset in regard to harvesting (temp) monthly user names/passwords which could turn an evaluation version running/updated forever. A wise decision in my view.

Welcome - and thanks for the compliment ;)

regards.

paul

3. creature

creature Guest

Hi Paul.
    Perpetual re-application of updates occurs in the trial version as posted to the US (nod32.com) site: it is not a matter of a "full" version being used without a password.
    I'm not sure what Anders was reffering to. The full version is password protected both at nod32's download page (can't get the app) and when fetching updates.

It is possible that ESET is using this as a way to ID abusers but it's not a very effective method: they can't go blocking IPs due to the prevalence of dynamic IP assignments. I think it more likely that the client is failing to record some whole-file updates due to a coding error.

Best, Jonathan

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for the info - I'll need to dig into that one.

I can't speak for Anders. That said: full versions are distributed at warez sites - as is license info coming with that. (Trying to) put an end to this is overall a wise thing to do IMO.

The method in use at this very moment isn't aimed at IP numbers as far as I know - it's system related.

AS said: we'll have to dig into that one ;)

regards.

paul

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To the trial version users having a problem updating NOD32 to the same version - it should be OK now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.