New User Would Like Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rlrood, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlrood

rlrood Registered Member

I'm an experienced computer user, but new to backup programs and am having a problem with Acronis 11, build 8,053.

So far I've made a complete backup of C-drive (applications, data, etc). This put about 275 GB on a 500 GB external drive.

Then for some reason the first "scheduled" Incremental backup failed to occur -- doesn't even appear in the log.

Next I rescheduled the Incremental backup and it did occur, but not successfully. This is what the log says: "Disk is full. You must free additional disk space to continue. You can either empty the recycle bin or delete data files. Please press retry, etc., etc., etc."

The 500 GB external drive now has only two folders -- one containing the original Acronis backup of about 275 GB, and the other about 175 GB for the Incremental backup.

In general, I would really appreciate anyone who would lead me in the right direction. And specifically, I do not understand why an Incremental backup would ever write 175 GB when the basic backup is 275 GB, and then not be complete. Obviously, there is something I don't understand here:oops:

Many thanks for any insight.

Larry

2. troubledAGAIN

troubledAGAIN Registered Member

How large is the drive you are trying to image? It sounds like you may have just made a 1-to-1 copy of the drive. An image of the drive should only contain the data that is on the drive not the entire capacity.

Of course if you have a 500gb drive and it contains 450gb of data and programs it may only compress to 275gb. The incremental image would be all the changes since the revious imaging. You may have 175gb of changes.

You should check to be sure if you made a copy or an image.

3. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

If you are making an incremental into a different folder than the original full backup, it won't see the full backup and will default to another full backup, because there is nothing to increment. Keep all parts of a backup together in one folder.

4. rlrood

rlrood Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. C-drive is 300 GB and about full. I chose the option to copy "My Computer." Most of the data is photographs and the "normal" compression I chose did very little compression -- I think. I doubt if I had 175 GB of changes, but I'm new to this stuff and could be wrong. Again, thanks.

5. rlrood

rlrood Registered Member

That could be the problem. I've scheduled another incremental this evening and have made sure it is in the same folder. Thanks.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Videos or audio files or photographs are already compressed and will not be additionally compressed by TrueImage. When an incremental is done, any changes (or deletions or movements) will cause the file size to increase. It is recording changes of disk sectors--not changes of files.

7. rlrood

rlrood Registered Member

I just made a successful incremental backup and expect that the problem previously reported was becasue of the reason you suggest above -- thanks! The incremental backup is about 23 GB, the initial full backup is about 275 GB.

Question: When I go to the external drive contailing the backup and open the backup folder using Windoes Explorer and select the thumbnail view all I see are icons of various photographs. I can not get thumbnails to show. This is not what I see doing the same when opening folders on C-drive. This presents a real problem when trying to access well over 6,000 or so photos. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Comment: I find Acronis TI to be very complex for what I assumed would be a relatively simple computer process. As I said previously, I'm new to this and find a 124 page manual to be a bit much. I've gone to the trouble of printing it out and reading quite a bit of it, looks as if I'll have to read a bit more:rolleyes:

Also, I've only begun to work through this forum (which appears to be a wonderful one), but I'm really surprised at the number of issues. I thought a video editing forum I frequent has a lot of issues, but this one rivals.

Please don't take any of this as a complaint against Acronis, which in spite of the initial problems I seem to be having, seems to offer a lot of capability and also seems to take customer satisfaction seriously.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Larry:

When opening your backup archive the way you describe, you are "Exploring" the backup image. In this mode you will not be able to see thumbnails of photos.

However, there is another mode available with TI called "Mounting" an image. To do this, right-click on your backup image file and choose "Mount". The image will be "mounted" like a virtual disk drive and you will be able to use any feature available in normal Windows Explorer windows, including the ability to see thumbnails. This mode is also the easiest to use if you want to copy several files out of the backup image. When done, right-click again on the image file and choose "Unmount".

Hope this is helpful.

9. rlrood

rlrood Registered Member

Very helpfull...thanks! Great forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.