New user - Want to use automated firewall but WinVNC doesn't work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kenton, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenton

kenton Registered Member

I just installed the 30-day trial of ESET Personal Security.

I use WinVNC a lot to remote into my computer, and in ESET's default configuration it blocks WinVNC.

If I use the interactive firewall mode I can get WinVNC to work but the thing is I want to use the automated-make-choices-for-me firewall option but I want it to ignore everything WinVNC related.

I don't want to worry about putting computers I might use into trusted zones because I'm rarely VNC'ing from the same location. So, basically..

Can I set it up to use automated firewall but ignore everything VNC related?

Thanks for your help! I look forward to freeing myself of Norton :thumb:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, create the appropriate rules in the interactive mode
    2, switch to the policy-based mode
    3, enable the rules "Allow all outbound traffic" and "Block all unknown inbound traffic"

3. kenton

kenton Registered Member

Is that what I really want to do?

I ask because it seems like if I put it in policy-based mode, it'll block everything without a rule. Meaning say I install XYZ program and that program wants to connect to the Internet, will it be automatically blocked (based on it has no policy/rule) or will it connect if ESET deems it not a risk?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's why it's necessary to create the appropriate rules you need, for other communications the 2 general rules will be applied. I too use the policy-based mode without a single problem.

5. kenton

kenton Registered Member

Policy-based mode did exactly what I suspected -- allowed VNC but blocked everything foreign.

For example, I opened mIRC and AdAware SE -- both of these programs (first run under ESET's suite) and they were instantly disallowed internet access. This was under policy-based mode.

One would think, that since mIRC/AdAware are safe programs -- would be allowed internet access automatically.

Should it have? For now, I'm running in the intrusive mode where it pops up but with enough "Allow" and "Remember this" -- they'll eventually go away. Just didn't want to have to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.