New user - problem or normal?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Mgood, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mgood

Mgood Registered Member

New user - problem or normal?

Using port explorer I've noticed the following:

1. When I open an internet connection.

2. Multiple internet windows open and tend to stay open with eiter windows explorer or firefox.

3. When I choose to do a traceroute, they tend to close and in most cases only one window will appear after a traceroute is done.

4. When I do a whois, they tend to close and in most cases only one window will appear after a whois has been done in association with a traceroute.

5. On some occassions one or two windows will show as hidden. At times I can kill the process and sometimes not unless I ping it.

6. In some cases;
    a: A trace route shows as one ip address
    B: A whois shows a different ip address
    C: In most cases, the who goes back to the same range of ip addresses described above.

Does this sound like a problem?

2. mem1

mem1 Guest

It all sounds normal but the specific ports & IP's really help to tell the story.

1. OK
    2. Multiple IP contacts are on a web page (ads, content, graphics, etc). The port will Establish and go to Time Wait, where it can be for up to 4 min or so. Then then should go away. Firefox will keep some ports Established (IP of 127.0.0.1) for communication back to the PC, called 'loopback'. These are normal as well.
    3. normal
    4 & 5. depends on the specific info but probably not a problem
    6. normal - whois will give a range of addresses assigned to the registrant - the specific one you are looking for should be within that range.

3. Mgood

Mgood Registered Member

Thank you, mem1

... I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.