New user of VirtualBox questions..

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dundertaker, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Just trying VirtualBox 3.2.8...curious really..I have only a vague idea mostly based on what I read(never really tried it out before..). So I used an old pc (P4/ 2.5gb ram / 160gb hdd) and have installed XP SP3 in it.

I plan to use/learn VirtualBox for programs trial.

VirtualBox set-up:

512mb memory
    16mb video memory
    3D acceleration enabled
    2D acceleration disabled
    Remote display disabled
    Storage: 30gb
    Audio: Windows DirectSound
    Controller: ICHAC97
    Network: Adapter1 - PCnet-FASTIII(NAT)
    SerialPort: disabled
    USB: Device Fileters 0(0active)
    Shared Folders: 1

Can you help me with inquiries here, thanks:

a) I have installed software by or through Network Folders (Map Network Drive) of the host(my main system), shared it with the vbox I created. Preliminary installed PDFXchangeViewer free portable, CCleaner, Auslogics Defrag. Is the procedure correct or is there a more good/better approach to what I did?

b) Do you have by your experience "good/tested approaches and it's corresponding settings" for trying out programs in a vbox that maybe very helpful for me...really appreciate this one. s

c) Security is a major concern for me. How can I carry on my existing security set-upto function inside the vbox(AV/firewall/on-demand security apps')...?

d) Is there any tips that you can give me to make my host system secure even when my vbox get's accidentally infected? How may I do that?

e) Can I install a different OS in a virtualbox? Can a 'main system' with XP SP3 have a virtualbox with Vista or better yet Linux or Windows7? If for Vista/Windows7 which I tried in a seperate hdd(on same test system) I did compatibility mode for certain drivers. How will this be in virtualbox?

f) Can I clone the vbox I created? On my host ystem I use Paragon Backup and Restore 10.2, if I clone the full system, will the vbox+settings be inside it?

g) I use only an 16inch LCD monitor with virtualbox display at 920x606...How can I make the display smaller..fonts/icons all-in-all..so if I lsee full view in a small unmaximized window.

h) Can SuRun to run LUA be used inside virtualbox...(might be a stupid idea..you can laugh here..lol..just asking? Or better yet, if you are running LUA via SuRun in the host ae there any issues that I need to know so my usage of VirtualBox will not be hindered?

h) In my other pc I have Returnil System Safe 2011. Is it redundant to have RSS 2011 with VirtualBox? Have you experiences with this?

i) Finally, (to get ideas as to how to use it more effectively...) How do you use VirtualBox? For what purpose and approaches/tips?

I hope I did not bore you with my questions...might sound elementary to VirtualBox users but asking "is" learning:)

Thank you!:)

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Hi Dundertaker

Excuse the brief response but i'm supposed to be working at the moment :p

A: That approach is similar to my own,whether it's the best or not I don't know.

B: For trying out software I first take a snapshot,then try out the software.once I've finished with it I revert to the previous snapshot to ensure that nothing remains.

C: With the exception of some cloud-based security,you'll need to install separate AV,Firewall,etc onto the VM since it's a separate entity from the host.

D: If the VM gets infected you shouldn't worry about the host since the likelihood of infections migrating to the host is extremely slim. If you're feeling ultra paranoid install Returnil on the host and run a virtual session when testing.

E: You can run any guest in Virtualbox subject to your system hardware (can't run 64bit on 32bit hardware obviously).Also you'll need to allocate sufficient resources to run both the host and guest.

F: If you create a disk image,using for example Macrium Reflect then all VMs will be saved to the image.You can also export a copy of a VM to another location if desired.

G: You adjust the screen resolution from within the guest OS,the same way as you do on your host OS.

H: You can run any configuration you like in the guest OS,99% of stuff runs exactly the same within a VM as on a 'real system'.

I: I mainly use Virtualbox for testing software and for any risky activities.

3. Dundertaker

@andyman35;

Thanks for the reply.

The responses are a big help. I'll check it out. Please do try to add some more when your not working...boss might flare up loose a ton of hair..:argh:

Really want to learn using this app. It gives you more freedom so to speak.

I hope avid users of VirtualBox will pitch in some more approaches/insights.

Thank you for your time:D

4. Dundertaker

Hi:) ;

I hope for more patience for questions may seem irrelevant/elementary:oops: . Trying to learn VirtualBox here AND I'm glad you guys are helping me out here.

Additional inquiries more please:

j) How do you set-up an internet connection in the vbox? I am having problems sharing the "Network Connection folder" of the my host.

I am very confused here. In my host system I use a prepaid dial-up connection and a wireless DSL. I want to set-up the prepaid dial-up first which in the host system uses a 56k modem. I thought it would be the same as in the host. I can set the connection but it does not recognize that there is a modem. It shows device missing.

In the default I see NAT as Adapter1. I read about something about "Bridge Networking" and "Internal Networking". I saw something that in Bridge Networking you will need a device driver so I tried to install the modems driver in the vbox but it did not went through.

What will I use..."Bridge Networking" or "Internal Networking" or what..?

Dial-up connection first and then I will try the wireless dsl but not yet.

How will I do it?

Also,

Can I use the host's connection to connect to the vbox or is it a separate one?

Really encountered a dead-ed here..don't knowhow to do it..:-(

k) I have loaded Avira Personal in the vbox but I cannot update it manually through the "manual update" feature. Since I do not have yet internet access in the vbox it still is not updated.Maybe someone here is using Avira inside a vbox that can give me an idea...?

l) Is it necessary to set-up all my security apps in the vbox, well AV/firewall seems to be needed or can I just do with an AV?

m) If I take a snapshot before I connect to the internet, will restoring that snapshot erase all of the activity I did? Does the vbox need to be closed to restore to snapshot or I just click Machine>Close>Power off machine>Restore to current snapshot..?

Does snapshot restore function like an image restore or just a system restore where files are not affected thereby all that I download remains. I see that you can also do a system restore in the vbox is it the same as restoring the snapshot?

Thank you!:)

5. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Hi Dude,

As requested, i would like to share my VBox Settings with you ... I hope you find it useful.

After Installing VBox i do trailing below changes so that i can make it 99.9% safe for malware testings ...

1. I always set a pre-allocated HDD (40 GB)
    2. RAM -- 512 or 640 MB
    3. Video RAM -- Default
    4. Network -- Bridged Networking (Default)
    5. Remote -- Disabled
    6. Audio -- Windows DirectSound
    7. SerialPort: -- Default Disabled
    8. USB: Default Enabled
    9. Shared Folders: NONE

Always keep in mind that you should not enable "Shared Folders" in order to keep you HOST machine safe... Because if you enable a Shared folder between Guest and Host machine then you are giving guest a safe passage to navigate into Host ... So kindly do not enable it while doing malware testing and all.

As far as your questions in concerned, You can install any firewall or Anti-Virus in your VirtualMachine, but keep in mind that your OS is running in your Virtual Environment, so adding a resource hog Security system will really slow down your VM Machine. As far i am is concerned i use only Returnil and SandboxIE inside my VM .. Though this is the case of my 1 VM Machine.. I have about 4 Different VM ;)

Secondly, i would like to tell you that at present there is no Known virus which can evade VM Machine and infect your Host system, not even latest Stuxnet or TDL3 ... But yeah future is uncertain, so while using VM Machine for testing and all, you can install and enable Shadow Defender or Returnil in you host to thrash such possibilities of infection ...

I never cloned VM Machine by using third party tools... You can simply copy the pre-allocated HDD of VBox anywhere in your backup HDD.. This will allow you to have a complete back-up of your VM Machine ... I always copy the main system HDD and not the snap shots...

As far as resolution is concerned, after installing OS in your virtual machine, you have to install VirtualBox Guest Additions ... This will automatically allow your VM Machine resolution according to your screen resolution..
    The procedure is quite simple. Just boot into your VM Machine. Then, in the VirtualBox menu, under Devices, click Install Guest Additions... and rest you can do your self... Keep in mind that you have to continue everything... No need to stop anyting, why i am saying this? because during the installation you will find that OS will say that the Video Driver is not compatible with your OS and this will call instability in your VM OS .. but ignore all these warnings and keep it going.. Follow it through, reboot and enjoy.

I have not run SuRun ever, so can't tell you about it .. :(

I guess i have answered your all questions to the best of my experience .. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to PM me..:p

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Two thank you to you too (if not more), Dundertaker, to have start this thread.

I am in this exact same position and do apreciate the great info carried here by your wonderings and questions! :thumb:

7. Dundertaker

@ruinebabine:) ;

Yeah. It's difficult for a newbie to understand the Help section especially that I am not a native english speaker plus not a techy at that. I hope others will see the thread and pitch in some help and approaches so that others like me/you can garner better learning.

@Avinash:D ;

Thanks very much dude! I sent you a PM again. Can you comment on the networking options...? Can't connect to the internet at the moment.

---

Hope others who have experience with VirtualBox can give us tips/approaches. Maybe they can share also some of the difficulties that they encountered and the fix that they made/accomplished/survived with.

Thanks all!:D

8. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

As far as Internet connection is concerned, I would like to know which Anti -Virus software you are using in HOST machine. Recently i have faced the same internet problem on VM Machine.. I was unable to connect my VM Machine with outer world (Internet)..After 4-5 hours i was able to figure out that it was AVAST who is creating the problem and denying my VM to connect with Internet..

So it is important to know which AV or IS or Firewall you are using in your HOST.

9. Dundertaker

Hi AvinashR;

Thanks again for the reply. Sorry it was quite late.

My host AV is Avira Premium ver10. I also use Outpost Pro 2009, Mbam 1.46(realtime when I am surfing but on-demand when not), SASpy free/HitmanPro Build 111 on-demand.

Have also successfully installed Windows7 in a virtual environment but still not finished. It has no sound:-(

Will wait for more assistance from you. Really thanks for all:)

Regards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.