new user, new install

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by wgnoble, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgnoble

wgnoble Registered Member

I have a Windows ME machine that I suspect is having Trojan Trouble. I download the evaluation version, install and when attempting to run, end up in a 'Not Responding' situation. The program starts by telling me the processes that are running then halts. Launching from safe mode has the same results

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi wgnoble, welcome!
    Did you first update the radius manually from the website after installing?
    If the system starts, then first does a scan through several steps like the running processes, another time through all the dll's behind it which takes some time and might seem for a new user not doing anything at all, but it does step by step go through the next process and all dlls and system files etc, till it goes to a next scan, of which the Process Memory Scan might look another time like not responding, but it is working very hard which can take several minutes in which you think nothing happens.
    Step by step, you see it pass all the initial scans, of which the CRC check must be the last in the row.
    Depending on your system all together can take several minutes.
    Once you're through you might like to look at your preferred configuration, for which you might like FanJ's guidance in the "TDS basic configuration" thread on top of this TDS forum.
    I have every option checked and all on highest sensitivity, causing to take a bit more scanning time all together, but i like to know i'm safe all time.

4. wgnoble

first use

I suspect a Windows ME machine is having problems with remote control trojans. I download the TDS3 program, go through the install process, run it, respond to 'What country are you in', it displays processes running and hangs. Task manager shows app not responding. Same result if I run in safe mode. Any ideas?

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

FYI - I merge this second posting by wgnoble into their existing thread so that the new information could be kept together with the original and any responses. - LWM

6. wgnoble

I have all of the required files but I don't know if they are the correct versions, for instance, the required files thread shows comctl32.ocx version 6.0.80.22. How do I determine if my file is this version? It is dated 29 08 2002.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi wgnoble,

To check the version numbers on those files, you must select each file one at a time, right-click on it, and choose the "Properties" option from that menu. The new box that pops up has a "Version" tab which shows the internal information about the file. See this example from my system below. The version is circled in my image. (There is also a "version" item in the list below it, but the one at the top is enough for checking this.)

Hope this helps,
    LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again, i think if your files are ok, TDS doesn't really hang but has a lot of scanning to do.
    For instance the Process Memory Scan is a heavy process which can take several minutes. I've seen various times in the task manager "TDS not responding" but is most cases saw it continue after a while so i'm used to have as few other processes running at the time during those scans to give it all space.
    It is not ready in two minutes, certainly not on win9* systems.
    Please keep us informed how it goes.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Try giving TDS-3 some time.
    Jooske is right.
    I learned recently that a program may still be running when it is listed as "not responding" in Task Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.