New user, and a GUI bug........

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by /\/\aster_Chief, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /\/\aster_Chief

/\/\aster_Chief Registered Member

Hai,

Im a new peep here, so hai. I have used nod for a long time and swear by it :)

Im here tho because of an annoying gui bug which i am getting. Somtimes the custom eset skin doesent work properly. It doesent happen all the time tho, only sometimes when i start my machines. I havent found any information about it anywhere, but it happens on all 3 of my pcs which i have nod installed on, so i dont think its an isolated incident. Its depressing because when nod finds somthing bad, instead of the uber cool red screen with the spinny eye i get a bland threat detected box :( Thats a vapid reason i know, but feh :p

Attached Files:

• Arg.JPG
      Arg.JPG
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
  2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

yeah i've been having the same problem recently too. just started last week and happens almost everyday at the moment. i just close nod down and restart it to correct it, but i cant see why its just started.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. /\/\aster_Chief

Hmm i did look for related threads, but oh well.

2 of the boxes are geforce based, yes, but the third is a centrino laptop with integrated intel gfx, which is nothing to do with nvidia, yet the problem occurs there too. This does seem to be a problem with nod i think. If i can get an answer like its a bug with nod i will accept that, im sure eset will fix it in time. Its good to know that im not the only one tho.

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I would try this...

NOD32 System Tools > NOD32 System Setup > Setup > General > Uncheck "use Eset custom graphical... Click ok.

Then go in there again and enable it. Never had the issue myself, so I'm just guessing.

6. /\/\aster_Chief

yep done that many, many times. Never sticks.

7. Brian N

Tried a reinstall? Do you use any reg cleaners?

8. /\/\aster_Chief

I do infact use ccleaner.com's reg cleaner.......is that important or bad or somthing?

9. Brian N

Yeah ccleaner can mess up your NOD settings (It does each and every time with mine).

I suggest a reinstall.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Interesting. It has never effected mine.

snowbound

11. /\/\aster_Chief

Aha. CCleaner is a common element across my pcs. You may have nailed it for me. :) Ill call back.

12. Brian N

It's hard to spot though. After 5 days of no updates, weird schedule scans (started 3 hours late), I reinstalled.
    Fixed it right away.

13. /\/\aster_Chief

Nope, wierd bug is back :(

14. Brian N

Hm I'm lost then, sorry :doubt:
    I hope someone else can help you, or write a mail to Eset support, with a link to this thread.

15. /\/\aster_Chief

Thanks all the same.

16. GWA

GWA Registered Member

I must agree with snowbound, CCleaner has not impacted my Nod32 settings or operation. I would, however, add that the scheduling within Nod32 for scans, etc., does act unpredictably for no apparent reason. My "weekly scan" used to fire up a 1/2 hour early and run twice! I just deleted that scheduled scan and now do it manually.

17. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, my suggestion is to delete the ESET folder from Program Files after uninstall! If u have already done it and still not working I don't know other suggestion. :(

18. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Just as a side note, when I've seen this issue from time to time, what you've suggested Brian N has resolved it in those cases....

19. rws

rws Guest

I have seen this issue on at least 3 computers, with Nvidia and ATI drivers.
    In all cases everthing else was working properly.

This issue usually appeared while rebooting. It could be all right side windows affected or sometimes only one or few of them. Then, disabling custom gui and re-enabling it again solved the problem temporarily.
    Sometimes windows could also change without rebooting, in which case re-enabling custom gui also solves the problem temporarily.

I have contacted Eset support numerous times with screenshots and other information, but the best answer I have got is that they didn't know this problem exists and they didn't know what the problem is - must be my computer :eek: .

To my surprise, reading other threads, I have got an impression that Eset seriously considers this to be a driver issue(maybe I am wrongo_O).
    In that case we should contact Nvidia and ATI and complain about their drivers that are causing nothing else but corrupted NOD32 right side windows, and post their answer here(with prior consent, of course).
    It would be quite a useless excersise though, because we already know the answer, don't we? :D

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yep, given that the problem occurs only on ATI cards and that there was a problem with fonts caused by Catalyst drivers in the past as well, we can assume what the answer will be.

21. rws

rws Guest

Nope, that problem occurs frequently also on my Toshiba 5205-S703 laptop with Nvidia Go460 card, it also occured on Dell Latitude 510 with integrated Intel graphics, also on Dell Inspiron 8000 with ATi card, and also few times on Dell OptiPlex150 with Nvidia TNT.

P.S. Did O.P. say anything about ATI cards and Catalyst driverso_O?

22. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi

i mentioned at the start of this thread that i am also 'suffering' from this issue, and the only thing i can think that i have done recently is to update the ATI graphics driver which was a recommended update on Windows Update. Before I did this all was fine, since updating I have been having the same GUI problem.

Sounds plausable that this is the cause of the problem, at least for me

cheers, lee

23. rws

rws Guest

If the same issue occurs with at least 3 different drivers, it is obviously a good time for Eset to look into the problem,
    instead of
    ~snipped as per TOS....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2006
  24. rws

rws Guest

If, posting the comment that issue only occurs with ATI cards,
    in the same thread where O.P. stated that he has this problem using Nvidia and Intel videocards,

is not arrogance, then
    would you please kindly explain what it is then?:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2006
  25. AshG

AshG Registered Member

If you visit forums for the mainvideo card manufacturers, you'll see a litany of issues resulti ng from sloppy coding. The race to make things faster and better looking has trumpe stability and isolation and is causing all sorts of problems. Unfortunately, the Eset GUI is a victim of drivers breaking one thing to fix another. I'll shoot the Catalyst team an email and see what their thoughts are on when this can be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.