New User and a few questions about Nod32?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gate1975mlm, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

Hello,

I decided to test out the new ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6 RC on my Windows 8 Pro PC. Now keep in mind I have never used any Eset Nod32 product before now.

Anyway I noticed that there is like a 2 maybe 3 second delay when launching each program after a reboot of the OS. And then when I open the same program every time after that there is no delay and it opens instantly like normal. But everytime I reboot the OS the 2,3 second delay is back when lauching the same programs the first time. I am guessing Nod32 realtime shield is causing this. Why does Nod32 not remember that these programs were scanned and are deemed safe after every reboot?

After OS reboot and the first delay of each program the same program will keep opening instantly untail I reboot my computer which is really annoying because I do reboot my computer often.

Before I buy Nod32 I want to make sure this can be fixed or corrected in the settings?

Also a few other questions?

Is Nod32 considered one of the lighter memory using AntiVirus software on the market? I see its using around 80MB which seems like a lot compared to Webroot and even Avast. However so far Nod32 seems to not be slowing down my computer at all other then the delay issue above.

Also is Nod32 rated near the top for overall protection?

And last is Nod32 false positive detection rate very low? I hate when you get so many false positives.

Leo Laporte raves about Nod32 AntiVirus on his radio show so I figurerd I should try it out.

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, the delay when launching an application is likely caused by the fact that v6 has advanced heuristics (AH) enabled on file execution by default. You can disable this option in the advanced real-time protection setup (make sure you don't disable AH for newly created/modified files as it's important for detection of most malware).
    2, according to various performance tests and users' feedback, ESET products are very light on system resources.
    3, ESET provides excellent protection against zero-day malware, in-the-wild malware, adware, spyware, potentially unwanted applications, etc. Although no security product can ever guarantee 100% detection of malware, from ESET's users we very seldom hear about infection issues.

3. er34

er34 Guest

It's not the memory used by the product's processes, more important is how the product performs. You'll notice that despite that ESET uses more "RAM", NOD is may the lightest and fastest antivirus product on the market and it can work fine even on very old low-specs machines.

The reason NOD32 shows ~80 MB but Avast/Webroot doesn't is that ESET/NOD32 works differently - the signatures/modules are loaded in memory.

Should you ever need more RAM, you can buy one (RAM is cheap nowadays) or use the ReadyBoost technology (Windows Vista/7/8 ) to improve performance (although I am sure you won't need to)

4. gate1975mlm

Thanks for the info guys :)

I have another question if that is ok.

Lets say I buy 2 Nod32 5 keys today from a store can I activate one of these keys using Verson 6 RC instead of version 5? Reason I am asking is because I have a 30 day trial of Nod32 6 RC installed. Also would I be able to use the other NOD32 5 key on NOD32 7 if that was the current version at the time I needed to activate my second key?

So basically what I am asking is will keys for older versions of NOD32 be able to activate on newer versions? Or can a key from a NOD32 5 retail box only be activated with version 5?

Thanks

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Users are entitled to install any version of the product they've purchased. That said, you can use your license to install v4.2, v5, v6 (RC or final) as well as any future version without an additional upgrade fee.

6. gate1975mlm

Would Eset customer service be able to take my 3 unactivated "3 PC 1 year" keys and combine them into one key? So this way I would have 3 years of updates with one key instead of having to activate another key every year.

Thanks again for all your info.:)

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

to my knowledge - ESET will not do that. We have asked more times than I care to mention (at renewal time for customers)... they should - it makes life easier for the customer, for support, for renewal - and it has a cost benefit - less transactions means less cost in doing business.

That said - you could call customer support and ask - what country are you in?

8. gate1975mlm

I am in the USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.