New Updates Don't Install

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mbobo, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbobo

    mbobo Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2004
    Posts:
    4
    Downloaded the last 2 updates. Click Select All. Click Protect Selected Items. This removes the new check marks and the new updates remain red. Nevertheless SpywareBlaster reports "Success."

    Any ideas as to what's going on?

    Thanks.
     
  2. LowWaterMark

    LowWaterMark Administrator

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2002
    Posts:
    17,873
    Location:
    New England
    Hi mbobo,

    Can you give us some details on this? What version of Windows is your system running, and what version of Internet Explorer? Also, can you tell us which items are not being protected? (Perhaps a screen image of the SpywareBlaster window.) Are the items that won't stay protected listed as "Type" of "Spyware" or "Cookie", or perhaps a mix of both? Thanks.
     
  3. mbobo

    mbobo Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2004
    Posts:
    4
    I'm running XP Pro, IE 6.0, and SpywareBlaster 2.6.1.

    Not sure a screen shot would help, as there are dozens of items that spurn protection, mostly spyware (a lot of KeenValue 131-193 and SearchBarCash 1-51) but also a few cookies.

    I've been using SpywareBlaster for nearly a year, never had a problem before. I assume the items that refuse to be protected are the ones included in the last two updates (neither of which would install). Any new (red) item that I check is immediately unchecked when I click the "Protect" button (even tho SpywareBlaster reports "Success"). The previously installed items (black) remain checked and unaffected.

    A few weeks ago while I was surfing, a CoolWeb window popped up. I closed it immediately, and because I'd heard how nasty CoolWeb is, I immediately updated SpywareBlaster and ran it. That was when I first noticed the problem.

    IE however does not appear to have been hijacked. I also downloaded and ran CWShredder and it reported no CoolWeb infestation.

    Yet the way in which SpywareBlaster appears to be thwarted suggests some kind of interference...

    Whew! There it is. Hope you can shed some light on this.

    Thanks.
     
  4. LowWaterMark

    LowWaterMark Administrator

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2002
    Posts:
    17,873
    Location:
    New England
    Maybe you ought to go the route of posting a HijackThis Log over in our log review forum section just to be sure this isn't some type of hijacker that isn't detected by other means (such as the ones you've already tried).

    Use these instructions and start a thread in that forum section and see if anyone finds any problems.

    We can follow-up here after that review is done.
     
  5. LowWaterMark

    LowWaterMark Administrator

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2002
    Posts:
    17,873
    Location:
    New England
    Well, it seems that your HJT Log review (thread link) didn't turn up anything related to this problem. :doubt:

    I think we're at the point where Javacool will have to analyze this and may need some additional details (though what, I'm afraid I don't know) to figure this out.
     
  6. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
  7. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    And part 2...

    If the above downloads do not fix the problem, please try the following:

    1.) Uncheck the first item in the SpywareBlaster protection list.
    2.) Press the "Remove Protection" button.
    3.) Verify that now the first item is unchecked and red.
    4.) Press "Select All"
    5.) Press the "Protect" button.
    6.) Let me know if anything strange has occured (such as the first one staying unchecked, all the items being unchecked, etc.)

    Thanks!

    -Javacool
     
  8. dangitall

    dangitall Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2004
    Posts:
    430
    Location:
    New Hamster, USA
    If you're running one of those '5X' accelerators on a dialup ISP, try disabling it before trying to download the update. For some reason, these accelerators seem to interfere.
     
  9. mbobo

    mbobo Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2004
    Posts:
    4
    Hi Javacool, thanks for your help. I seem to have tracked down the problem. I'm running XP Pro and use a limited account for everyday use. When I switched to an administrative account, the problem with SpywareBlaster (and Spybot S&D) went away.

    The odd thing is that I have always used these programs from a limited account without any problems. Perhaps an XP update is responsible for this changeo_O

    Exact details follow, for anyone who's interested.

    Cheers, Mbobo


    Details:
    1. I performed the installations Javacool suggested-- still no luck.
    2. Again, as Javacool suggested, I tried deselecting and unprotecting a single item. No luck. The item remained protected.
    3. It was at this point that I switched to an admin account and was able to apply the updates.
    4. I returned to a limited account and ran SpywareBlaster. I noticed that, for some reason, 3 items were still red. This time I was able to apply the protections.
    5. This morning I downloaded a new update but was unable to apply them when I was in the limited account. No problem using an administrative account.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.