New to vista pls help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by raakii, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

1)I want to install windows vista from hard-disk since my dvd drive is under repair ,i just have a seperate cd drive alone now.Is it possible? does it work well?

2)Does installing the vista remove my xp in other partition form the boot menu(MBR) or does the other xp remain in its options even after instal?Do i need to backup the MBR incase i want to go and use the xp in other partition .Does this method of restoring MBR work well?

Finally , is it really worthwhile to try the vista, since i find xp rock solid , reliable and simple?
    I have 1 gb ram and a dual core processor.

2. richo

richo Registered Member

Everyone will have their own opinion, but if you are happy with XP I would suggest staying with it. Your hardware is probably not enough to get the full benefit of Vista, especially 1G ram. I have always found upgrading existing hardware to a new M/S operating system a disappointing experience. Better to do it when you get a new PC on e day.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I normally have no reservations about recommending Vista over XP; however, in this case I would stay with XP or install another 1GB of memory as Vista runs much better with 2GB than with 1GB.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would say theres no point running vista just for the sake of running vista. Unless you specifically need it i would just continue to use XP.
    Vista will run ok with those specs. I currently run home basic on a 2ghz celeron with 1gb ram and it performs nicely for everyday tasks, however the only reason i'm running vista is because thats what the laptop came pre installed with.

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I that a trial of vista after taking backup of xp, wat really made difference between xp and vista was its

"fast installation of softwares(exe) files"--almost 3 fast for installing adobe acrobat reader and application launch time is greatly reduced .

and it had good windows search feature also.

And main problem for me was that my lan driver (and hence internet )and multimedia is not working.Do i need to need use different set of drivers then wat i used for xp installation?

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, you'll most likely need new drivers for Vista... I would recommend putting Xp on one HD, and get another HD and slap Vista on that separately. Works out pretty good, and it keeps things separate and clean. I'm doing it right now myself.... Best of both worlds... ;)

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I have just got the new drivers.Its working fine now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.