New to True Image Server..can't get unattended backups...prompts..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by YeOldeStonecat, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Used True Image kajillions of times to clone workstations 'n stuff....

In getting tired of the old slow clunky backup products for servers, such as Backup Exec which was great prior to version 9.2 or so....I decided to try True Image Server on a server.

The server is a Proliant ML350g3, dual Xeon, 4 gigs, RAID 5 on SmartArray controller (I think it's a 221 if I recall). Small Business Server 2003 r2.

Backup device is a Dell PowerVault RD1000 (basically a hot swap laptop SATA drive)

I am trying to get it to behave like a normal server backup..which doesn't require any user attention other than swapping backup media each morning. But it keeps waiting for user intervention...replace media, or media is full..insert another.

I setup a nightly backup job..11pm each weekday.

Where the heck do you tell it to keep quiet and just overwrite any existing media? Because the spot where I thought it was..apparently isn't working.

Latest version is downloaded and installed on the server.

2. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

bump, I'd also like to know how to automate the tape process.

It's clear that the tape drive usage in true image is limited at best. At least it's there. Hopefully they'll start adding features there. Hopefully remote agents will work like they do in backup exec, so I can backup multiple servers to a single tape.

3. YeOldeStonecat

The RD is seen to the OS basically as a removable disk, instead of a tape drive. Not unlike say..an Iomega Zip or Rev drive.

4. YeOldeStonecat

5. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

I would try and start by doing a "pre-job" that erases Media.

that way they would be enough space to go on with backup.

Else you should modify the disk type to fixed, and then Acronis doesnt ask for another media.

Good luck,

Jaycee

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello YeOldeStonecat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please create several screenshots showing your actions up to the moment when the problem occurs? Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

All this needs to be done with a cartridge inserted into the RD1000 unit. We haven't tested this hardware for compatibility with Acronis software yet so the requested information would let us determine whether this is a compatibility issue or the problem can be resolved without any additional development.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. Acronis Support

Hello AaronAnderson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

If you are having problems with performing some operations, could you please describe them in details? Are there any error messages? When exactly do they appear? What do they say?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Technology

Technology Registered Member

I am also having the same automation issue with RD1000's.I have just purchased the RD1000's to use as a locally attached USB connected backup solution.

After you press the "OK" button in the "Insert Next Volume" window that presents itself before the backup process starts, the backups runs fine.

Acronis TrueImage Enterprise Server Edition: 9.1 (build 3,854)

The description of the window that pops up is:

Name of window: "Insert Next Volume"
    Error #: I00640003: Please insert the first media
    Message Below error: Please insert the media then press OK when ready or Cancel to cancel the operation.

There is plenty of space on the Powervault removeable cartridge for the RD1000. I am using 120GB native/240GB compressed cartridges with Dell "ITEMNO" label: 8452, if that helps.

Also, is there a way to use Acronis to use the compression on these RD1000's? When you run out of space (120GB) it asks you to insert the second media.

Thank you in advance,
    Chris

9. Acronis Support

10. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

Same questions, same issues, same concerns that this thread keeps on going with no valid resolution....just "send us a snapshot of your screen", nor no 'update' re: "we ain't tested it yet with our product"

How on Earth is ANYONE supposed to make VALID purchasing decisions when things like this just keep going on and on, unresolved, with no posted solutions?

So, let's start anew.

Dell RD1000, Acronis TI software, how to make it truly 'unattended'o_O

11. guruuno

Need Process

Dell RD1000 External USB backup device (SATA HD's in cartridge, like a tape, removable).

Acronis True Image Workstation.

Want to eject cartridge every day, insert a new one, and not be prompted to authorize erasure of existing data, prior to performing a full image backup.

Process, script, procedure needed to make it 100% truly automated with no end user intervention.

The RD1000 may not be 'tested' as of yet by Acronis, but it should be no different than any removable media, correct?

12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

It seems that Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server recognizes the storage device you are backing up to as a removable media. If images are saved to any removable media, the program asks for the next one to be inserted after the free space on the current one ends up.

However, the prompt to insert the first media can be disabled by clicking Tools - Options - Default backup options - additional settings and unchecking "Ask for the first media" option. The program won't prompt for the first media to be inserted now.

Please also note that if the compression is provided by some 3rd-party software (dell drivers/utilities, etc) True Image won't be able to use it, as it interacts directly with the hard drive. You can use the embedded compression of any level to save the disk space when backing up your data.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

13. guruuno

Thanks, I'll let all know how it works out.

14. guruuno

OK, I make the full image 1st, and then schedule an incremental backup to occur, when the schedule is run/executed, it generates an error message:

C0064006C:
    Incremental Backup is Not Possible

Can I not do incrementals?

15. Acronis Support

Hello guruuno,

Please be aware that Acronis True Image can only create incremental backups to the location where the respective full backup resides. Thus, if there is no enough free space on the target drive/media, the backup will fail.

If space in not the issue, please try deleting and recreating the scheduled task.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

16. guruuno

The removable media has 120Gb of space.
    The backup is 12Gb.
    There is 108Gb free space.
    The incremental backup attempt always points to the original backup image.
    The incremental backup ALWAYS fails with the error message previously referenced.
    If a FULL backup is performed, and the check box is marked not to prompt for 1st media, and then another full backup is scheduled, pointing to the very same original backup, the original backup gets over-written.
    Not a problem, other than time.
    Incremental not working without error even if no schedule is present, and a manual incremental is attempted, negating the process offered.

17. Acronis Support

Hello guruuno,

Please make sure you use the latest build (3887) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to update all installed components and recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also try creating an icremental backup using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

18. anthonymcse

anthonymcse Registered Member

An update: I've been working with tech support in regards to Acronis True Image compatibiliy issues with the RD1000. Apparently, Acronis True Image can have problems with any removable drive that does not have an MBR. The Dell RD1000 doesn't have an MBR, just a single VBR (use dskprobe.exe and look at sector 0). Acronis gets confused, treating the VBR like an MBR, and goes off looking for partitions and sectors that don't exist.

I'm told they are working on a fix but no timeline.

Anthony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.