New to True image/ incremental image restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Constantine, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constantine

Constantine Registered Member

Hi,

I am completely new to true image, and would dearly like to know how incremental images work as far as restoring them goes.

Once I have made a full image BU and then made a incremental image for the sake of it 2 days on and I wish to resore to these images do I:

1) Restore the full BU image and then after restore the incremental image!

If someone could guide me in this matter I would be most grateful.

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

You don't do multiple restores. If you have performed a backup on 3 different days (full + 2 incremental, for example), then you will be presented those 3 dates when you go to restore (by selecting any of the TIB files from the set). The restore process is performed in one seamless step by ATI.

3. Constantine

Constantine Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply, this is probably mentioned somewhere in PDF instructions or they automatically assume you have some understanding of this type of BU technology, unfortunately I could nether find what you have informed me of or am familiar with this type of BU....although have some experience with ghost, but fell out with this program due to lack of control with sataraid contollers or lack of simplicity should I say.

Regards

Constantine

4. mfwhite

mfwhite Registered Member

I hate to belabor your answer but to be clear, If I have a full backup and 4 incremental backups and I need to restore my full partition back to the most recent incremental date I just select that most recent incremental and TI will give me a full restore of all the files dating back to the full backup? This is not in the manual.
    Thanks,
    Mike

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Let me clarify this situation.

Incremental backup is based on the first full backup and on all previously made incremental backups. It contains only changes in drive image that have been made since the last incremental backup (or since the full backup if there is no one incremental yet). You can safely delete the latest incremental backup but you cannot delete the middle one or the oldest one.

If you want to restore your drive to the most recent date you should restore the latest incremental backup.

Please also let me illustrate how incremental backups work:
    1) Installed Microsoft Windows XP - created full backup;
    2) Installed office programs and utilities - created the first incremental backup;
    3) Installed Service Pack 2 - created the second incremental backup;
    4) Installed "incompatible" program and got not bootable Windows...

Now you have three variants what to do, i.e. three *.tib files to restore.

In order to restore your computer to the most recent date you should restore the second incremental backup. If you want to have a clean Microsoft Windows XP then you should restore the full backup.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

6. icthrooyou

icthrooyou Registered Member

Maybe not the exact same technology behind it, but this sounds very much similar to the WinXP restore points... Is this a safe/accurate comparison?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.