New to TI9-want to upgrade HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nesbit, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesbit

nesbit Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a new user of TI9.

I have a dell optiplex260 with a maxtor 20G as it's primary 'C:', and a WD 20gig as it's secondary HD 'D'. I ordered a seagate 120G to replace the primary drive. All NTFS.

When I'm all done I want my 20gig WD to remain as the D:, I plan to image C: (including drive, z: dell's tiny utility partition) to the D: drive. Then I will simply change out the C: drive for the newer drive, and restore the image from D: using the boot CD. If I used 'clone', it would mean more hard drive swapping to get where I want to be. ps, I know to click the 'disk1', not just the partitions when I make a full image.

What I want to do *should* be elementary for any imaging program, but I confess some of the things I read on this forum should never happen with a backup program. I've never had driveimage tell me the image was valid to find it later was not.

To prepare, I test booted the rescue CD. But my drive D: is reporting as having about 8 gigs free when I know it has about 16 gigs free.

Any ideas why?

Any other general reasons I can't do what I plan?

Will TI format the drive and expand the image to fit during the restore?

Thanks!

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

It would be much easier, I think, to just clone your C: to the new 120 GB drive, swap drives and only leave your new 120 drive and boot to it to make sure everything's OK.
    Then replace your old D: drive.
    There may be other opinions, but that's what I'd do.
    That way you're not waiting for anything to get restored that may have issues.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nesbit,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that in this case we would recommend that you use Clone disk tool of Acronis True Image to copy/move the entire content of the "old" hard drive to the "new" hard drive (including all the partitions, operating system, installed application etc). During the clone procedure you will be able to resize the partitions to fit the new hard drive. This can be done either proportionally (the new disk space will be proportionally distributed among cloned partitions) or manually (you will specify the new size and other parameters yourself). You can find the detailed instructions on how to perform the clone in Chapter 12. "Transferring the system to a new disk" in the User's Guide.

You can also use two-steps method (image-restore) to transfer the system to the new hard drive. This is usually done if your computer doesn’t have a bay for another hard disk (like laptops). You can also temporarily install the new hard drive in place of your CD drive. Please note that you can resize a partition during the restoration as well (Chapter 6.3.8 "Changing the restored partition size and location").

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

As to the issue you experienced:
    First of all, please make sure that the Bootable CD is created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.