New to Paragon and need some direction!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by acerj, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acerj

acerj Registered Member

Okay, I hope that all of you are doing great. I got this software (Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 2010 Free Advanced) last night and done a back-up of my 1tb HD with 76Gig being used in about 20min. I am trying to mount the image and it will not allow me to do that (Option is grayed out.) I am using win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I can go through the recovery and view files that way, but it won't allow me to mount the image.

Also I have read on some posts that inorder to recover to a smaller HD, I must first shrink the Partion of my primary HD then make an image to install on the smaller HD. But one thing that caught my attention was the "Restore with Shrink"- "to restore a backup image to a free block of smaller size taking into account only the amount of actual data of the image." Pg. 9 in the manual. I can't not get it to do this. Every time I try to recover to a smaller HD it will only copy the 100mb of the system partion. Has any body had any luck using this?
    Brand New built computer, not really worried about HD failure at this time but could easly happen.

Have a good one

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1) Mount Archive option is for 32-bit Windows versions only. It should be written in User Guide.

2) Did you try to restore second (third , etc) partition separately after the failed HDD restore with shrink?
    It helps in most cases for non-RAIDed configurations.

3. acerj

acerj Registered Member

Sorry for the delay. Been working lots of over time.
    Mech_An: Thanks for the info on the Mount Archive. This is not a big inconvinence for me.

As for the Restore with shrink. It will do the system partion but won't do any thing else. It sees the other partion (900ish gigs) but will not copy it to the smaller drive. I also never see the option to use Restore with shrink when I am running windows or when I am using the boot from cd. It just has the restor wizard. Any help is appreciated.

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Restore with shrink is performed automatically on attempt to restore to the smaller free space or smaller partition.

1. Start Restore wizard. Select archive and switch to Partitions view
    2. Select your system partition and click Next
    3. Set free space on target drive as destination, set desired partition size and click Next
    4. Follow the wizard as usually.

5. acerj

acerj Registered Member

Thank you Mech An!
    I went to the boot cd, Reloaded the system partition first and then added the second partition. I booted from my smaller HD and It works like a dream. I am now sold on Paragon. I used to use Macrium Reflect but they would not copy to a smaller HD and would not do differential Back-ups. I used this smaller HD as a test to see if Paragon was the thing fro me. Well, it passed with flying color. Thanks once again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.