New to forum -- odd problem with NOD32 3.0 RC1 (not ESS)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Crashman, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crashman

Crashman Registered Member

Greetings, all:

I am new to the forum and have been inspired to join and look for help with a problem with NOD32 AV (not ESS) 3.0 RC1.

I use Windows Vista Home Premium (patched with only the patches that Windows Update identifies as "critical" or "recommended" and current as of this month's "Microsoft Patch Day"). Only NOD32, Windows Defender and the Vista inbuilt firewall are running resident (none of NVIDIA's driver helper things or the like); the internet connection is Verizon Broadband DSL with their standard Westell 2200 router/modem (router firewall ON), and Firefox 2.0.0.7 is the browser. NOD32 settings are at their installation defaults.

My problem is that, whether I have the NOD32's web component active or not, I am have big problems getting access to Anandtech's website (anandtech.com). On most occasions, it won't load at all and simply times out for lack of detectable response. Very occasionally, it will load, but take 3-4 minutes to do so.

This problem does not occur with avast (current version) and its web protection component active, but it happens every time I try using NOD32. After removing avast!, I do a system restore to a state of clean Vista install (patched as described above, but with no antivirus ever having been installed) and reinstall NOD32, but the problem remains. Thinking this might be a problem on the other end of the connection, I have even gone to a neighbor's Verizon-connected computer and tried accessing Anandtech less than 2 minutes after I had tried and failed on my machine, and the neighbor's connection had no problem. As a result, I am back to using a soon-to-expire copy of AntiVir until I sort out this issue.

I would really like to work this out, as I otherwise love NOD32, but wonder whether whatever is causing the Anandtech problem will some day (after I pay for a license :D) show up with some other website that I use more urgently.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Any insight or help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Crashman

EDIT: Oops, posted in the wrong forum. Reposted to the correct place

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Install Eset Antivirus again and try to change the following default settings to some another.

When the GUI is opened , press F5 from the keyboard to open the Advanced Setup Tree .

Navigate to Web Protection -> HTTP -> Excluded addresses and add the web-site you have problems with .

v3_exclude_web-addbk,b.PNG

From the Web-browsers -> Active mode section make sure that there nothing checked (a.k.a no application is in Active Mode)

v3_exclude_web-addbk,b2.PNG

Under Web-protection choose Protocol filtering . Choose HTTP and POP3 ports .

v3_exclude_web-addbk,b3.PNG

Confirm all the changes with OK .

Try again to access anandtech.com
    By the way , I use ADSL connection , with Eset Smart Security , XP SP2 and IE7 , the web-page opens very well with no problem for 3 or 4 seconds

woalla.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  3. Crashman

Thanks, HiTech_boy, for the idea. This being my first exposure to ESET software, I need the hand-holding approach to tinkering with settings.

I'll give this a shot later this afternoon, after my leaf-raking is done. (Must get that done or I'll get yelled at...)

4. gH0StrId3R

gH0StrId3R Registered Member

hi...im also using the default settings (nod32AV rc1)... no router firewall.... and look n stop 2.06

and anandtech.com opened in a matter of seconds here .. :s

opened fine in both firefox 2.0.0.8 and opera 9.5 9603...but do tell if Hitech's method solves your prob...

5. Crashman

Greetings, HiTech-boy and gH0StrId3R,

Tried the suggestions, and still no go on anandtech.com. 1 minute and 20 seconds after it started, I still see "waiting for www.anandtech.com" in the status bar, and no part of the page has loaded. Very odd...

The only way I can get that page to load is to change the protocol setting back to "ports and applications marked as internet browsers or email clients" then go back to the "web browsers" branch and explicitly put a red X in the box for Firefox. Then it loads fine.

I'm at a loss again!

Crashman

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi again!

What you say is strange to me because I asked you to change the Protocol filtering to HTTP and POP3 ports , which means the application will not scan any other traffic from the Web-browser/Mail clinet , just all the traffic through the HTTP and POP3 ports (no matter what application generated the traffic) . With the red cross on the web-browser you make EA not to scan any traffic generated from the browser .

This sounds strange to me because it could be in the HTTP ports but me and gH0StrId3R have no problems accessing the site . gH0StrId3R uses EA just like you . I am with Eset Smart Security.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You mentioned Firefox . Can you please try with Internet Explorer 7 ?

8. Crashman

Hello again, HiTech-boy,

No go with Internet Explorer either. How strange...

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That's a bad news . I am sorry I couldn't help . I played with different settings of the product and with all of them I successfully opened the requested page . The onliest difference is that I use IE7 , not Firefox . Have no idea about your problem .

Just to let you know that even though there is a problem , you can safely leave Firefox with the red cross (X Mozilla Firefox) . This way Eset Antivirus won't scan Firefox's traffic but if you keep the browser updated , the Real time file system monitor of ESET will catch the threats as soon as they are written on the hard drive disk.Updated browser and OS reduces to minimum the risk of exploit.

You can test with Eicar and your Firefox at the current status:
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    https://secure.eicar.org/eicar.com

10. Crashman

No problem HiTech-boy.

This is one of those times when it's something obscure/esoteric/idiotically dumb that's causing the problem. I'll follow your most recent suggestion and continue to fool around with it to see if something works.

I'll post if something works out.

Crashman

11. Crashman

Update:

After 6 more tries at installing and adjusting various combinations of settings, still no improvement. I guess the program just isn't going to let me solve this problem.

It's a pity, since it otherwise seems to run very light on my system.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you like Eset Antivirus and you wish to keep it , temporary adjust the settings as mentioned in my last post (Advanced Setup Tree -> Web protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers and X Mozilla Firefox) . This way you won't have problem , I strongly believe .

Thanks for letting us know . :thumb:

P.S. - by the way , keep in mind that the product is still in a non-finito state . I hope you have better luck with the final version . When it is released , try again

13. Crashman

HiTech_boy:

You're quite welcome, and your points are well taken. I'll see how things go with your suggested settings and keep my eyes open for the final release version. It does seem like a very good anti-virus solution because of its low system load and protection capabilities.

Thanks again for your help!

Crashman

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are more than welcome :thumb:

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Strange enough, the first link is stopped by ESS, the second one lets me download it. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.