New to Colosoft: having issues with HTTP

Discussion in 'Capsa Network Analyzer' started by mavruss, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavruss

mavruss Registered Member

So I am trying out the free version ATM. If I can prove to my boss this is a qaulity tool, we will be purchasing the full version.

Anyway, I have been charged with the task to monitor HTTP traffice on the network. Our bandwidth is gone and we need to know why.

I have my adapter mirrored on our switch's port that is the main connection to our instagate 604 proxy/gateway. I see a ton of traffic but not as much HTTP traffic that I was expecting ( I know users are streaming video/music).

What am I doing wrong? I even looked at the HTTP log and its blank. the DNS and global logs are populated.

Any help would be appreciated. Im not so much a network guy. More of a server guy. :-*

-Mav

2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi mavruss,

I checked the user guide of the instagate 604 and I don't see it supports SPAN (port mirroing). I'm not sure it I'm right. We need your computer with Capsa see all traffic passing that device. Now please tell us the answer. For more information, please read <http://www.colasoft.com/support/installation.php> to learn how to deploy Capsa properly. :)

3. mavruss

Sorry I wasnt clear.

I have port Mirroring set up on a linksys SLM248P

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10006/index.html

I have both transmit and recieve being monitored.

The port I have mirrored is the port that is connected to the instagate 604. So all internet traffic should be going accross this port on the SLM248P.

Its crazy, I can see a ton of other protocols but no HTTP.

Let me correct that a little.
    I go to Protocole explorer\Ethernet II\TCP\HTTP
    I see the bytes climbing in the traffic same with packets. I just dont see the amount of traffic I know thats on the network. I know for a fact at least 10 people are streaming music and videos every day but im not seeing it here.

If I go to the Log tab and look at the HTTP Log, its blank.

BTW, this is set up for full anaysis. No IP address on the NIC that is monitoring the traffic.

Any suggestions?

4. mavruss

Update:

really odd thing just happened.

My boss used the web site interface for our phone recording system. I saw that HTTP traffic that went to our internal phone system server. Its seems I cant see any traffic that goes to the instagate proxy.

5. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi,

You need to check if your HTTP proxy traffic goes with port 8080. If not, you need to customize the port number in Capsa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.