New TI 11 member needs help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wilfrid, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilfrid

wilfrid Registered Member

My OQO2 Vista system crashed on reboot after TI 11 image of the only computer internal drive C: copied to an external hard drive.

In use for 3 months with Live OneCare protection and many loaded programs.

(Considered by me a Vista issue as I am an experienced computer user and have identified so many that Vista is unsuitable for me as a mainstream system.)

oem Vista supplied only allowed complete reinstallation.

This has been done and TI 11 reloaded and run in an attempt to "Restore "C: ie write saved data over current drive.

After validation, reboot required which occurs but TI 11 is then no longer runnig to restore partition (or running in any way).

Attempted 6 times using different options with same result - lots of waiting involved.

Can I restore a saved partition in these circumstances?
    If so, what else do I need to do?

Sorry to burst upon the scene but it was a sunny Saturday afternoon here and no one will be around to help till Monday!

It is really disappointing to pay out ones own cash for a well promoted program and then discover that when really needed it actually does not work.

There need to be 2 buttons once backedup file selected:
    1.Selection partition
    2. Restore

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm a couple of hundred K's north of you!

Anyhow - did you make an image, single partition or complete disk, or a files and folders backup?

When you restored, did you use the rescue CD or, reload Vista and then TI and then try and restore.

I don't have Vista, but I know the new security features have caused some problems.

Have you installed the Secure Zone, and if so is it activated.

Colin

3. wilfrid

Backup made of complete disc C:. (*.tib files is almost 15MB.) Made immediately after installing Registered version of TI 11.

No rescue disc made or prompt remembered suggesting I make one.
    (TI 11 is loaded on my Vista machine so I can see one can be made.)

Vista reloaded from manufacturers restore disk. TI 11 downloaded and installed. Restore then attempted. Unsucessful.

Secure zone not mentioned anywhere in menus and Help file not searchable.

I have not read Help files.

To me a mature back-up and restore program should be intuitive. Acronis True Image 11 is not.

I expected to be up and running by now not poking around in the options trying to decide what I am doing wrong.

If you don't have Vista you may not understand that, unlike xP Pro SP2, when Explorer is used, every Window in the hierarchy opens.

I could tell you what appears but suffice to say 3 down the hierarchy C: drive is displayed in a picture icon and clicking on Explore opens a Widow with no right hand pane data.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

15 MB? is that a typo?

I'd expect at least 2GB for a basic image from an install that had hardly any other programs installed.

The rescue disk (mentioned in the help file and the manual) is the best way of restoring an image. Though as this uses a linux environment some people do have some hardware compatability problems with it.

I'd suggest making a rescue disk on a RW CD so that if it doesn't do the job you haven't wasted a CD, also each new build of TI will require a new CD to be made, in case of driver upgrades.

It is advisable to name your partitions with unique names as drive letters in the 'nix environment do not always 'letter' themselves the same way as Windows.

Colin

Attached Files:

5. wilfrid

15GB - typo corrected.
    I'll try a rescue diskette boot.

6. vango44

vango44 Registered Member

If you still haven't got it working...

It sounds like TI is failing to detect some of your hardware correctly when it re-boots to do the restore. Try moving the backup file to another internal drive/partition other than the target system partition if you have one. Unplug anything not required especially card readers etc... and try the restore again.
    Failing that you need to try the boot CD if you haven't already. You might even need to download the "Safemedia Plugin" from Acronis.
    To get the plugin you need to be registered on their site and the link appears in your account under registered products. Or you might get a link from Acronis support.

<Safemedia Plugin>
    When you run the plugin it adds itself to the Windows program.
    From Windows run TI 11 and select management tools. From the left select "create bootable rescue media"
    Select all the plugins offered including Full and safe version and continue to burn the CD.

Boot PC from the CD and try first full version if you want or just select the safe version. Main difference is Safe version is more stable but won't support Raid/network hardware. It may also not support your USB drive hence the possibility you might need to get the backup on a secondary internal drive/partition as I mentioned above.
    :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.